Tube Amp Help, Please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a peavey classic 30 with a flaky reverb and I need help diagnosing and eventually fixing the problem.

About a month ago I noticed that the reverb stopped working. When I turn up the knob, all I get is a low-volume hum. When I first turn the amp on, I get some reverb, but after 1 minute or so (when the amp fully warms up, I guess), the reverb goes again.

I've ordered a new connecter because I hear some scratching when I jiggle the cable, but now I'm not sure this is going to fix it. It seems like it might be something else more serious if it goes away after the amp warms up.

Any ideas? I'm not an electronics expert, but I can do some simple soldering if a suggestion is made for a parts replacement. :-?

Thanks!

If I were you I would take it to a prof tech who has the knowledge to check it out !

If there is something serious, you may worsen the actual state ...

I wouldn't take the risk. :-?

Roger

Just an update....

It turns out that the reverb unit itself was bad. I swapped out a known working one and it worked fine in the amp. So, I've ordered another reverb from Peavey.

Also, I mentioned some weird ringing of the amp. It turns out the tubes were ringing, or rattling. I found this great product known as a 'tube dampener' that will dampen the ringing of the tubes in response to frequencies coming out of the speaker, typical in combo amps.

I picked up a set of 8 for $10 on ebay and they've really done the trick. You can't just use any rubber ring, mind you. These are made from silicone that can withstand the 400+ degree temperatures the tubes get to. They've also focused the bass response a lot and the amp now sounds killer! 8)

Thanks!

Glad you've got it !!

BTW - you mentioned the rubber rings ...

Does it work in any tube amps or only in your Peavy ??

Guess, it sounds good, and it is good to know ... I own two Fenders and if this problem might happen ... I'll know to solve it. :lol:

Roger

Thanks, Jim, for the additional info ... :lol:

I have just 2 Fender all tube combos plus excabs - and I love them.

If they are focussing the bass response it will be my next purchase because I upgraded my DR with a ToneTubby, but it seems to me that there is a kind of fuzzy bass.

Roger

Latest posts

Back