Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

82 LC100: Pickup upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allthumbs
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans-j?rgen wrote:
allthumbs wrote:
If I can't land any old Dimarizos, do you have any idea how well the new ones stack up?

The Virtual PAFs get good reviews at the moment, also the Virtual Hot PAF for the bridge position. I haven't tested them myself though.

Maybe you should first figure out if there's a real problem with the original Gotohs like "always too muddy in the neck" or "overly bright in the bridge" before starting switching pickups. Normally the Gotohs are said to be very good neck pickups, because they are not on the heavy side. If you still would like to have something clearer there, you might even consider humbucker sized P-90s like me.

Good suggestions. I don't mind the stock pup in the bridge - especially when it's driven. Clean, it seems a bit blah. The neck pickup is nice when it's clean or slightly driven (ie. blues) but turns to unusable mush under more drive. Renders the middle position unusable in these situations too.

I think that I'll keep my eyes open for some good used PAFs - either Dimarzio or SD and experiment. I'll also try some adjustments to the stock pups in the meantime.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chris
allthumbs
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update. I managed to score a Seymour Duncan Jazz and a JB set for a really good price - wasn't was I thought I wanted, but I installed them and have been really suprised at how good they sound. The Jazz in the neck is really articulate - no more mud. I was concerned about the JB as there is a lot of talk about having to tame their inherent trebly nature but it really appears to agree with the mahogany-on-mahogany of my Custom. These pickups are a definite improvement over the stock pups - a real nice bite that really cuts through the band-mix. Installation was a little trickier than I had thought but in the end it was worth it.

Thanks to all (especially Hans) for all the assistance!
bluesboy
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could say the same about my 79 Reborn LP. It came with standard Tokai pups and they were AWEFUL (imho). They proved to be microphonic and would squeal at any oportunity.
Anyway, I changed them for Bare Knuckle Crawlers and can confirm - as others have already - that they are an excellent pick up. There is a good range to choose from and Im sure you'd be happy with a set in your Tokai.
Ultimately its each to his own. Talk to Tim at Bare Knuckle - he's a real helpful and knowledgeable guy!
Good luck.
Bluesboy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: