Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of Tokai Guitar is this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: Tokai used an additional zero in the model number on their early acoustic guitars, so the list price was 50,000 Yen. See also this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=18550
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and Kazuhiro Yoshida for let us know shyroseca.
Because Kazuhiro's website I learned how to date Cat?s Eye acoustics guitars and I bought a '81 CE-1000 in fact because the interest was born in me.
One tip: erly(75/76) Tokai acoustics have a CATS EYE logo whereas later acoustics have a Cat?S Eye logo....very funny!
So your guitar is a pre-Cat?s Eye era,it's the first time I've seen any like yours.

With your post I realized where Tokai got his logo for '83-later Silver Star models......

Last edited by luis on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the complete link to a Google translated version of that web site again:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers7.tsukaeru.net%2Flevante40%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
shyroseca
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: What Kind of Guitar is this? Reply with quote

You're welcome Luis. After a long search and not finding any other guitars like mine, I was happy to find out directly from the makers. I'm glad you got some answers too.

Later....
dragonfehr1
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having the same problem as this gentleman and maybe you can be of help. Mine just gives the model no. 10 and There is no serial number. I am not sure how to post the images directly but I did manage to get a good shot of the label. Here is the URL where they can be found:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/getnailedat2doorsdown/PersonalSpace

I am going to be selling this guitar on ebay soon and I need to know the specs on it as well as est value so I don't screw myself over. The lady that gave it to me said she bought it in 1968. She didn't play it very much so it has been in the case most of the time and it is in mint condition for its age. I have restrung it with Jose Ramirez nylon strings and that was only the second set of strings that this baby has ever seen. I really don't want to sell it, but I never get to play it either and I would realy like to see it used for what it was meant for. Can you take a look and tell me what you can?
Thank you
dragonfehr1 is my seller id if anyone is interested when I get it listed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
W8n4agr81
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All !
Lucky new Tokai owner here... I too have happened upon and old (?)Tokai classical. It is a Model TOK7650, Serial #C0101158. It is very similar to the photos posted here. The headstock logo is the same, the inside label is the same as well. It is a full size guitar w/a 2 inch nut, 10 3/4 inch upper bout, almost 14 1/2 inch lower bout and is 3 3/4 inches deep. It was sold to me as an all laminate guitar, however upon inspection w/a flashlight and mirror it would appear to be solid spruce and jacaranda or zebra wood. My questions to those of you who might know would be... How can I tell for sure if this is a solid wood guitar ? What might the age of the old girl be ? Is she a rarity ? I'm slightly concerned for her health as I bought her as a bang around wall hanger but am now wondering if she should be in a case w/a humidifier (very dry house ). Any answer to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi W8n4agr81

Welcome to the forum

I usually look at the wood grain pattern on both sides to establish if the top, bottom and sides are solid. So get your mirror and flashlight out again

Can you post some photo's of the guitar ?
W8n4agr81
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrisheyes !
Very speedy reply, I'm impressed ! I spent a long time w/the mirror and flashlight looking at every possible area of the guitar that I could see ! The soundhole is very deceptive. Rather than being rounded off so that the woodgrain is obvious, it is blunt cut. I cannot see or feel a laminate layer there. To compound things, there is a slight bit of finish overrun on the edge of the soundhole which makes it harder to tell ! The top of the guitar has a pretty tight woodgrain pattern. Some of the underside matches, while some of it has a wider pattern. The back and sides have no knots or weird patterns that would make it obvious but the darker grains that are sort of curvy match inside and out. I'm slightly inclined to think that it is a laminate guitar because I can't believe the guy who sold it to me (fairly knowledgeable guy) wouldn't catch a solid guitar but is sort of does look solid ! I don't have a digital camera at this time but if I can borrow one I will post pictures. Look at the pictures of the guitar belonging to Shyroseca , all is the same except the back and sides look like what Yamaha says is "Zebrawood" and I think is really Jacaranda. She does sound wonderful ! Piano like basses and bright trebles, not quite evenly matched but nothing that a string change won't fix ! Even if shes not solid I'm still very impressed with her and would like to take proper care ... Thanks again for the welcome and thanks for taking the time to reply !
W8n4agr81
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: How does one post photos ? Reply with quote

Hello again everyone !
I have stepped into this century and purchased a digital camera !
I took some photos of my classical Tokai and would like to share them but haven't a clue as to how to do so ! Could anyone lend a hand ?
Thanks !
chrislpp
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans-j?rgen wrote:
Here are the pictures that shyrose sent me yesterday:

Looks like a normal concert guitar with nylon strings to me, probably rosewood back and spruce top.

yea, its an acoustic, if that is any help...
________
Roor bong pictures

Last edited by chrislpp on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

i have some Cats Eyes catalogs that i will have a look through also.

Is Brazilian Rosewood the same as Jacaranda? I thought they are 2 different species. We have Jacaranda trees in Australia but no Brazilian Rosewood.

will check this out also

Peter mac
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
Is Brazilian Rosewood the same as Jacaranda? I thought they are 2 different species. We have Jacaranda trees in Australia but no Brazilian Rosewood.

Sometimes you can find "East Indian Jacaranda" mentioned on some sites, but usually (Rio) Jacaranda is the synonym for Brazilian rosewood in luthier and/or tonewood connexion. Some links:

http://www.holzwurm-page.de/holzarten/abiszp.htm (in German, nice pictures)
http://www.colonialtonewoods.com/pages/brazilian_rosewood.html
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Brazilian+rosewood (about the Australian trees)
http://www.ellisguitars.com/EastIndianRosewood.html (an Australian manufacturer)
http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/BotDermL/LEGU-4.html (Brazilian rosewood giving you dermatitis! )
http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/brazilianrose.html
http://woodworkerssource.net/onlinewoods/species.php?woodtype=128
JPOPE
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: WOW!!! I've got that same guitar!!!... Reply with quote

model #TOK7646...and i've been looking for info to!!
gekko
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Tok764 Would like to find out year and value. I've been looking at all the links but most focus on the Cats Eyes. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: