TIMBER!!!!!!! :o

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislpp

Reaction score
Ok.....

So i have my tokai and hear they use sycamore sometimes and print on the flame sometimes(bte wtf is printed on??)

How do i tell if its maple or syc. by looking at the grain and where the rosewood is from?

Plus the body is one piece korean and it looks kinda funny on the back.
________
Hotels in mexico city

Ok well let me clear up some terms used in the biz:

photo flame: where they overlay a photo (thus the term photoflame or fotoflame) and lay it over the top. That was mostly Fender doing that in the 90s... Never heard of Tokai, Greco, Burny or others using photoflame.

sycamore or maple flame veneers: I would think tonally the same. Not as good as a solid flame top (sycamore or maple) but nice.

NOW the difference between photo flame and veneers: you wiggle the top back and forth you get NO flame rolling with photo flame - you do (some) with veneers... It's real wood versus a picture.

Loosen the strings and remove the neck pickup: look inside the neck cavity - you'll see right away if the patterns in the top match the wood below the top 1/16 of an inch or so...

Ideally you get a solid topped flame maple guitar you get the tone and sustain and the looks. But those cost money, I think the Korean models TEND to be laminates... Spend some time searching here using the model number as your search arg...

Welcome Aboard !!

ps: I found this link that will interest you and educate you some - the owner of this guitar describes the process pretty well... Nice top too !!

http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/tele.html

Big

yoo say shake the top back and forth, what is the ''roll'' he speaks of, if anything on my guitar was rolling i wouldnt have bought it.....
________
HALFBAKED

chrislpp said:
yoo say shake the top back and forth, what is the ''roll'' he speaks of, if anything on my guitar was rolling i wouldnt have bought it.....

It refers to the natural visual dynamic of flamed wood. The lines change appearance as you move the guitar around - it looks different from different angles, for example light and dark lines alternate to dark and light.

You know when you buy a piece of flat pack furniture that looks like real wood, or if you put some laminate flooring down, they are examples of commercially available VENEER's. These are thin strips of real figured wood that are overlaid onto plainer wood's to make them look nicer. It's a carpentry thing.

Another example is the flamed/quilted top of a Tokai Love Rock with the suffix F/Q, current models are LS80F and LS85Q, older models are LS70F and LS75Q.

THE VENEER ON THE GUITAR DOES NOT EFFECT THE TONE!!!

The higher spec Love Rock model's that feature figured top's, feature real figured maple without using veneers.

Some of the Korean Tokais have printed tops - I think that's where a pattern is pressed onto the plain wood to give the appearence of quilt or flame - kind of a halfway house between photo and laminate.

anyone able to confirm that as being right - can't remember where I read it.

Latest posts

Back