Truss rod cover

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Do the ones that don't fit have the correct headstock and the ones that do fit have the dimple?

I'm thinking domestic market vs rest of world. Maybe there was a demand to make retrofitting possible in Europe.

Or perhaps Snake bought an older secondhand model - I don't think he said.

Paladin, the ones from Japan do not fit bell TRCs well.You have to angle the screws a little and then you got it....

The MIK models sold out of Canada have a SMALL triangular trc, with a screw ONLY at the top. A screw cannot be placed at the bottom, as the truss-rod opening is flush with the bottom of the nut.

That is why I was pondering one of the three-screw triangular trc (in one of the LP Custom styles) might be a good replacement. Since mine is a LoveRock "Standard", I'd like that engraved as well.....

Paladin2019 said:
ganzua said:
So, do they fit ok? Did you have problems with the metric screws?

Why would you have problems? You'd just re-use the orignial ones.

It seems Tokai have changed their TRC dimensions recently because the bell didn't fit my '01 love rock. Had to have one made for me.

So they want to be like Gibby????

that will probably bring in more lawsuits that i hate.....
I suppose the beel does look good, but if i asked my technology teacher i could make a custom one that would look great, but not so vintage :p
________
Toyota Glanza V Specifications

chrislpp said:
So they want to be like Gibby????

They'd give you the option of looking like gibby. No lawsuit danger there.

It's a good mod because it fixes the love rock's only real cosmetic flaw and wouldn't affect resale value - people would regard the bell as being more favourable that the elipse.

I hope the 'Standard' engraved one suits my new LS150 (when it arrives next month).

I suppose if it doesn't someone will buy it off me...... :D

Paladin2019 said:
Or perhaps Snake bought an older secondhand model - I don't think he said.
My guitar is a new Tokai, '05 model SG, it is European export model, with a dimple in the middle of the headstock, and not a Japanese one with the gibson style headstock shape. I was under the impression that, at one point in the past the gibson TRC did fit, but they changed it.

Now that I have started making/planning adjustments I started taking photos of the process, and I have one which shows the (slight) different in the hole placements, but while capturing them the camera ran out of power, but I'll post it later.

Anyway, if my adjustments work out ok, they shouldn't be too hard to replicate Deadman, so you shouldn't have too much trouble, but obviously wait until your guitar turns up to check.

For anyone who is interested, I have finished my adjustments to the TRC to make it fit. It was a pretty simple process, I enlisted the help of my dad (as he is currently redoing his bathroom so he had his drill ready).

Anyway, we used a 2.5mm drill bit, which was slighty smaller than the hole, but a 3mm one seemed slightly too large.

First, we tried putting the Tokai cover on top of the Gibson cover, lined them up so the hole of the Tokai was over the hole where I wanted it on the Gibson one, then drilled through. This wasn't the greatest way of doing it as we were pretty much drilling blind.

What we did finally was to start drilling inside the existing hole and move upwards into the plastic. This took a few goes, and we also filed down the bottom of the bell cover slightly.

It was basically a process of trial and seeing how it goes, with pretty much no error I'm happy to say.

Anyway, got a couple of photos of the process, unfortunatly in my eagerness to check if it fit, I screwed it in, so I don't have a final photo of the actual modified cover on it's own.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/snakeseries/tokai/DSCF4010.jpg
th_DSCF4010.jpg

Before headstock

th_DSCF4019.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/snakeseries/tokai/DSCF4019.jpg
Comparason of the two covers, click the url to see it more clear

th_DSCF4022.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/snakeseries/tokai/DSCF4022.jpg
Work in progress

th_DSCF4024.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/snakeseries/tokai/DSCF4024.jpg
Headstock after, looks much better I think :)

Latest posts

Back