Price for Tokai-Tourist-Buyers??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
Hi,

although I'm just waiting for my first Japanese-LP, a really nice Edwards, I fell in love with one Tokai '85 LS-150 OS which I saw in one of Hans-J?rgen's postings.
http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail.cgi?pid=12280920

I emailed and they gave me the price: 218.000 Yen(shipping incl.) - US$ 1.881,-. Pics show she seems to be in mint condition.
My question:
Is this a regular price or is it one for "Japanese-Guitar-tourists"?
At what amount is it (normally) sold in Europe or the US?(I saw reborns with a lower price)
I need help to determine if she's worth to overdraw my account and is it a serious offer?
I confess she makes my mouth water and I would love to buy her - but not at any costs ! :cry:
Cheers
Roger (I know I have to decide on that but a few opinions of the insiders could help making it easier!) :x

tudor said:
Is this a regular price or is it one for "Japanese-Guitar-tourists"? At what amount is it (normally) sold in Europe or the US?(I saw reborns with a lower price)
It's not the best deal we've heard or read of recently, but it's not totally over the top like some Ebay auction asking prices either, because it includes the shipping (probably insured?) and the original case, too. Furthermore the LS150 was the second highest model in 1985 with 1-piece back and solid flamed maple top. One non-original part seems to be the truss rod cover, maybe the tailpiece, too, because it looks newer than the screws and bridge in the picture.

The pickups should be DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge (which would normally have 12 hexagonal polepieces and no cover) and a DiMarzio PAF in the neck position. Did they mention what pickups are installed? Did they tell you the complete serial number? And what does it weigh?

By the way, good to know that RetroBazar also ships to Germany... ;)

Thanks, Hans-J?rgen, for the additional questions.

I emailed them and I'm waiting now for an answer.

As soon as I will have got an answer I will be back again at this topic...

:roll:

Hi,

here is the answer on my/Hans-J?rgen's additional questions:

Thanks for your reply.

Here are more details about the LS-150 '85.

- What pickups are mounted?
*Dimazio PAFx2
- What is the complete serial number?
*5030242 is 1985year
- What does it weigh?
*about 4.15kg

Unfortunately I am not able to show the attached pics. They show also the open cavity of the neck pup.
What can I learn from this?
In a former posting one of the experienced members wrote, that he's not willing to pay over $1500 ...
I say, too, it's more than I can afford at the moment!! :(

Roger :cry:

tudor said:
I say, too, it's more than I can afford at the moment!!
Well, you could sell the Edwards to finance "the real thing"... ;) :wink: Thanks for completing the information about this guitar though!

Well, Hans-J?rgen, that is actually one of the alternatives... :wink:

The Coda-offers for a new one also seem to be worth to be considered ...

I picked up the Edwards on Tuesday from the Customs. OK - it is no Tokai, but I love it. It fits my style of playing and feels and sounds better than the Epi Custom MIK. At the moment I am sure that it has to be enough for this week ... :wink: (my wife will kill me!!) :evil:

Perhaps I will make a separate posting to introduce it to you (with some questions), but I don't how to attach some images.

Do you have an idea to solve the problem?

Roger

tudor said:
Perhaps I will make a separate posting to introduce it to you (with some questions), but I don't how to attach some images.
You need some web space provider to upload your images to, then you can embed the direct link to the pictures in the forum editor. Your internet access and/or mail provider might already offer web space for free (T-Online, Freenet, Arcor, Tiscali etc.), if not, you could create a free account e.g. at Photobucket.com or Guitarmaniacs.de, a picture gallery for guitars (up to 2 instruments are free).

Latest posts

Back