Cleaning Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luis said:
There is a trick to oil a fretboard: just take a walnut friut(the inside ) and cut in small pieces.Then pass it over the finguerboard.You'll notice it's leaving some natural oil,no solvents or chemical agents at all.....

Wow, never would have thought of that one... What are the results like? How often do you do it?

TUNAFREAK said:
I also change strings every 3 days when I'm playing alot.

Whenever I finish playing I dry every string with a duster and then I put the guitar in its case with some cloth between the strings and the freatboard. Doing so the strings last longer and you protect the freatboard.

tO BE honest i use a thing called string glide and I know what people mean about it clogging up the finger board alot with dirt but I find I have very clamy hands and I have to cover my strings with the stuff completely unless I want corroaded strings quickly. I even have to wear gloves when I'm putting strings on cause they start to die from the sweat on my hands. So basicly i put so much on that the tone of my strings get muffled and then I play for a bit and the stuff spreads out more and the tone returns to normal. After playing I wipe strings down just and then apply the string preservative once again till I'm playing again.

you use gloves to change strings?!? :eek: that's a new one...

ganzua, why the cloth between the fretboard and the strings, when the guitar is in the case, the stings aren't touching the fretboard... is there any specific reason?

bruno said:
ganzua, why the cloth between the fretboard and the strings, when the guitar is in the case, the stings aren't touching the fretboard... is there any specific reason?

Yep, there is a reason; you dry the strings but they keep on oxidating and the oxidation can pass to the frets and wood. It is a way to avoid this thing to happen. Maybe it is too much care but my guitars are always clean and they all look like brandnew.

thanks I'm probably going to try that...

which clothes do you advise both to clean up the guitar and strings and also to keep over the fretboard?

I buy my strings in bulk and that saves big bucks! I also have acid hands and I do wipe down my strings but there is nothing like a fresh set. D'Addario bulk sets are $59.99 for 25 sets, and of course MF allways has sales, so I stock up.

Mark

I've used many different cleaning products and I completely agree that the Gibson guitar polish is great for bodywork (shame tokai don't make a polish as it would be cheaper and better :D )

The important thing is to keep your guitar as clean as possible - most products that are formulated for guitar are fine (they're far less destructive than the acids present in your skin)- but like a good solo, the less you use the better the result.

Oh Ernie Ball Cloths do a great job and are cheap too.

Something to ponder...

Too much oil on any fret board (Ebony or Rosewood) will cause the board to swell and may possibly "pop" a few frets.

An overly dry fret board will cause the wood to shrink and cause the fret tangs to push out. It may also cause the binding to dislodge or crack if the ends of your frets are so equipped.

My advice would be to maintain a gentle balance between the two. If you play the guitar quite often, the fret board will require less conditioning due to the natural oils in your skin being absorbed by the wood.

If you play a guitar less seldom, LIGHTLY oil once a year.

I have over forty guitars and have found that proper conditioning is essential to maintaining a "healthy" fret board.

Chuck

I've got those new micro fiber clothes and I really like a 100% cotton towel. But I don't go overboard on polishing because you are removing a little of the finish each time you wipe it down. You have to admit Bruno These LS145S guitars are artwork.

Mark

each day that goes by I adore this guitar more and more, I'm with you tunafreak, the specs say this fretboard is not brazilian rosewood (jacaranda), but it sure could fool me, it even has those dark/brown stricks so peculiar about the brazilian ones...

Back