Help me identifying an old japanese lady

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCM

Reaction score
Hi my name is Jakob and I am writing you from germany. I have a old probably japanese made les paul and I want to find out by which manufacter it was produced. The problem is, that someone changed the headstock veneer. :cry:
I suppose it is a old Epiphone but i am not shure. Can you help me identifying this guitar?

If you want to take a look at my guitar use one of the following link:

http://www.ephemeral-band.de/XXJakob/guitar/Guitarpage.htm

Thank you for your help.
Regards Jakob Schelker

That's surely one of the longest neck tenons ever... ;) The headstock back looks unusual, too, because of the volute and a veneer on the back. What do the letters on the tuners say? Also strange this additional screw on the left side of the neck end on the maple top doing nothing...

I just added two more pics. There you can see that the letters on the tuners say "Deluxe" and a Schaller "S".

Yes there is a volute and yes there are two more screw holes. It seems that there was a second pickguard which was installed reversed to the normal.

Someone added a "Made in USA" and possibly a new serial number??

What could the number "60" in the Bridge PU hole mean?

Regards Jakob

bobtastik said:
I had a Burny Les Paul with exactly the same screwed in tenon like yours.

Yes, it's was quite usual on the MIJ 70's models. I don't think It's the best way to identify the brand. The volute on the neck is probably more unusual for Japanese brands.

The "made in USA" stamp looks factory made. Are you sure it's not a MIUS? :D

Thank you for your aswers, there are some more informations:

Before I asked you, I asked some guys at another forum and they told me that it could defenitly not be a Made In USA guitar because of the tenon and the cable hole. Gibson used long tenons in the 60s and short tenons from the 70s till today. Both where flush and have/had never a screw. Beneath that Gibson uses (like tokai) a diogonal drilled hole for the cables. mine isn't diagonal.

The "Made in USA" looks not really factory made, because there is an "E" under one of the tuners. That looks for me as if someone tryed the letter stamping at first.
Gibsons (and the MIUSA Epiphones) always have a "Made in" and below that the "USA" and they never had "Made" over "in" over"USA".

Regards Jakob

It seems there is no other way than to pull of the headstock veneer oneday and to look if I can find a hint under it. But if there is nothing, what kind of a new headstock should I fix on the head ???

Latest posts

Back