• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for TOKAI FLYING V '68 MODEL

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkrabbit

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a TOKAI FLYING V '68 MODEL. The ones from the early 80s with the big headstock are preferred!
Anyone want to get rid of one of these babies?? :D

thanks,
pinkrabbit

Just bought one from a forum member - I really love it. Don't think I can part with it yet - here are a couple of images:

FVcreme20120Large1.jpg

FVcreme20620Large1.jpg

Is this what you're looking for? Perhaps some one else has one available.

thanks marcusnieman,

absolutely, that's the one!
Did Tokai also produce a version with a bigger headstock like the one on a Gibson Historic '67 Flying V?

Actually, my Tokai has the larger paddle headstock found on the 60's V. Here's an image of the narrower 58 V headstock on this Greco (that just sold on eBay for over $1000):

gr81.jpg

Happy hunting,

Marcus

I think I mixed up large with narrow :-?

Here is a example of what I am looking for:
goldv2.jpg

Are there other Japanese brands that build '67 Flying V like this?

This is a 1958 copy. Since pinkrabbit did ask for a 1968 MIJ model.

More info here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_9.jpg

exactly togps,

Number 1 in the top picture was the one I had in mind!

If there is are any other high quality copies around that you guys know of, I'd be glad for your advice...

Cheers!
pinkrabbit

Photo 1 looks just like my V - including the white headstock and large trussrod cover. Except, in the catalog photo it has a more pointed headstock like the 58 in the middle. My headstock is the more rounded, paddle shaped type like the V on the left.

And since I bought my V from the provider of this catalog page (Hi Gottfried) I'll defer to him for clarification - is my V a 67 or 68 model and is there a difference in the headstock between those two years?

I've played the korina 58 V's before and three things in particular that I like about them is that you have few more frets of neck to use before it meets the body and the rubber strip on the bottom side makes them a little easier to play when sitting down. The inline knobs are easier to dial on the fly than the stacked knobs - I still grab a tone knob every once in awhile when I want the volume.

But I must say, the 60's V has effortless Albert King tone - those Tokai 57 PAF's are nicely balanced and really bark when you want them to.... Love this guitar.....

Marcus, hi.
Following Tokai catalogue it is a '68 model.
The '68 model features a larger radius on the top of the head stock opposite the '58 model.
Enjoy your white angel!

Back