Which Tokai is closest to a 59 RI LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean brand new, it's the LS380, although it actually has Honduras mahogany for the back and neck as well as Brazilian rosewood for the fingerboard which newer Historics don't have anymore, so you could also count the new LS230 as an '59 Historic Reissue equivalent. The LS380 also has J.M. Rolph PAFs instead of Burstbuckers. They are not available yet, because Tokai doesn't have enough high grade maple at the moment, but will probably come out in the summer and cost 380,000 Yen (the list price) minus ~20% for foreign online customers in Japanese shops then.

If you mean NOS or used, it's any top model of that specific year, e.g. LS200 from 1979 to ~1997, then LS320. They go for anything between $1,500 and $2,500.

Thanks! I'm actually most interested in the 59 RI neck profile. Are there any models that have the same neck profile and long neck tenon? I'm not sure that I need the Brazilian Rosewood board.

Most of the Gibson copies including the ES and SG series have either that neck profile or the '58 profile. A long neck tenon is available on the new LS125F and above. But the usual medium neck tenon on all Tokais is still more massive and solid (goes to the neck cavity, but not under the pickup) than the Gibson short version on their Les Paul Standards.

AmpliFIRE said:
Thanks! I'm actually most interested in the 59 RI neck profile. Are there any models that have the same neck profile and long neck tenon? I'm not sure that I need the Brazilian Rosewood board.

I can't say this is universally true, but I've got two Gibby's (2001 R9 and 1989 std) and two Tokai LS's (82 LS100, 83 LS80).

Both of the Gibson necks are thicker (deeper, more round profile) than the Tokais. The 100 is thicker than the 80. The 80 I'd characterize as close to a Gibson 60's profile, ie on the thinner side. My R9 neck is a freakin' baseball bat!! Huge! Almost too big. Nice in the higher registers, but bordering on uncomfortable at the nut. I've gotten used to it though. It does sound fantastic, and (apologies to all of the purists here) overall it is the best guitar I own, looks, sound and playability considered. Hands down it is the best sounding, and it has a beautiful, authentic looking top.

Keep in mind that my R9 was billed as "thicker than many of the R8's we've had in the shop" when I bought it. I would imagine that my LS100 is probably comparable to something in the R9 neighborhood, as is the '89.

I like em all for feel. It depends on the mood, but sometimes that LS80 neck just fits like a glove. Sometimes it feels like a toy. The R9 usually feels a little awkward immediately, but that soon wears off.

As I recall, both of the Tokais have medium tenon's (don't hold me to that). The R9 is long, the '89 is short. I don't detect any difference between them that I could attribute directly to tenon length, and in fact I think the '89 has better sustain that any of the others. (I gauge this by how long I can sustain the bend up - and wiggle down - vibrato on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"). The '89 will maintain a fairly consistent volume level through this manuever. The others fade to varying degrees. I think some of this is convoluted with fret radius and action, as well (ie damping).

That's a sampling of the spectrum from my point of view...

For what it's worth, I have two 1981 LS80s. One black and one gold top. They're made within a few months of each other. The black one has a much fatter neck than the gold top which itself is close to a 60's profile Gibson.

The main point I think is that the neck profile doesn't seem to be set for a particular model. LS80s aren't always slim necked. I'd guess it's the same for other models too.

Someone with a deeper knowledge may be able to tell us if there is a way to identify what neck profile a given model has without having to pick the guitar up. Is there anything in the specs or the brochures that say?

By the way, I enjoy them both immensely but the fat neck on the black one is definitely nicer in my hand.

Back