Breezysound TE-50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quwi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum (although I've been lurking a while) so I'm gonna start by saying hello to everyone and YAY to tokai ;) My story goes like this:
About a year ago a friend of mine bought a 1984/85 (the first ones with the slanted headstock) TE-80 breezysound custom double bound telly in see through candy apple (i think) red, with a one piece maple neck. It's the best sounding and playing guitar I've ever played, I mean Butter! It really feels like it's playing itself.
So ever since I've been looking for a similar guitar or at least a similar neck. Now there's a Breezy on ebay, it's a TE-50, but the neck looks really great too. Does anyone in the know feel there's a great difference between the Te80's and the Te50's neck? They're both 5digit serials, so the TE80 should be a 54 V neck and the 50 should be a 58 U neck.
Here's the ebay item-nr: 7395041592.
Please don't steal it out from under me, I live in Belgium so the shipping would be quite inexpensive, compared to having one sent from japan or america.

Sorry for the long post, Please let me know what you think.
I value your opinions, cause my experience with tokai runs no futher than 1 (excellent) guitar and a few (really nice) effect pedals (I really like the TDL-1)

Thanks for reading this far,

Kenny

Kenny, welcome. Be advised that the TE-80 will be a somewhat higher quality guitar than the TE-50. You may already know this, but the model number is the list price for that year (which reflects in the quality). TE-80 = 80,000 yen, and TE-50 = 50,000 yen. I dont have much experience with the breezys, but for the springys (strats) the ST-80 has nitro finish and dimarzio pickups, and the ST-50 would have a poly finish and lower quality pickups... just so you know. For a backup though, the TE-50 would probably work just fine!

Thanks, I forgot to mention: looks are fine, but I'm primarily interested in how it sounds and feels ;) Do the pickups make a huge difference? Does the lacquer?

Oh, ****, I'm just gonna have to be patient and wait for a TE-80 to pass by... hmmm, or maybe buy this one and still be on the lookout for TE-80's ;) But prices are rising so fast, my friend got his TE80 100? cheaper than what this TE50 is selling for, with all shipping included,...

BTW: If anyone here knows of a nice playing TE80, that you don't need or that the missus won't allow, let me know!! ;)

Anyway, thanks for the reply,
Anyone else have some info? Comparisons between the 80 and the 50?

Kenny

lacquer makes a big difference on how the neck feels. THe pickups make a very noticable difference on the sound in my opinion. A lacquer finish will also age better... a poly finish sort of hermetically seals a guitar and leaves it "frozen in time" as it was from the factory.

Hi again,

Thanks for your quick responses, Did you have a look at the auction? The neck looks to be finished the same way as the TE80, or is it really hard to see the difference and really easy to feel and hear it?
Man I wish there was a second hand store full of tokai's around somewhere!

Thanks again,

K

hey. Really hard to tell about the finish in the auction pics because the lighting is weird. I don't really know what else to say beyond that, except that I'm no tele expert but have owned a few Tokai strats. I had a TST-56. equal to my ST-80 in every way except poly finish vs. lacquer, and I can say that I think the ST-80 with the lacquer is way better.

I have a TE-50 and it's really good. The neck has yellowed nicely and the guitar has a really nice vintage feeling to it. The pickups are good and the guitar is well put together. It's sligthly older than than the one on eBay since it has the spaghetti logo (1982). I really recommend it! Here's mine:

te50.jpg

te50_bridge_small.jpg

te50_heads.jpg

te50_neck.jpg

breezy.jpg

Mike

Thanks guys, I feel like a total noob ;) Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, I just checked with my buddy and his Tele is a TE70 instead of the TE80 I thought it was, anyone know what finish the 70's had, compared to the 50's?

Thanks once again ;) for all your knowledge,

K

Anyone else like to share Tele stories?

Latest posts

Back