Effects Board- the POD must die

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny73

Reaction score
Right

Ive decided to get rid of my POD and go back to pedals, I dont know why, i just feel the urge to do this. I got rid of all my pedals except a boss Compresser-sustainer and cry-baby so I'm starting from scratch. I have a jap ls75/80 (not quite sure which!) played through a marshall S80 valvestate.

I'm thinking of a harmonix big muff, proco ratt or tube screamer to cover the distortion side of things as i need a big "darkness" classic rock sort of sound for our stuff. maybe some chorus (but i dont really like it) and definately some delay and a phaser/flanger.

Any suggestions for toys to make up the "Board of Doom" for that classic les paul big rock sound!!??

suggestion: start with fewer effects of better quality rather than cheaping out to get a lot of different pedals. You will save money in the long run and be happier. If you are in the US, check Craigslist frequently as used pedals often come up for very cheap.

Don't rule out vintage or boutique pedals, as your ears mature you will likely end up shelling out for these anyway. I've pretty much got my board refined:

1967 Vox wah
handmade modified TS-808 clone
modfied Maxon OD-808
Emma DiscumBOBulator (like mutron envelope filter)
1980 DOD 680 analog delay (a sleeper, awesome sounding)
1979 DOD 670 flanger (see above)
Volume pedal...

AND I just sprung for an EP-3 Echoplex from the 70s and a 1965 Fender Stand-Alone reverb unit.

I'm finally getting there...

Good luck.

I did the same thing about 3 years ago. I did it as a gradual transition. First I added a TS-9 in front of the POD, then added a delay behind it and just kept adding them one at a time until the POD left the setup. When the POD left so did the keyboard amp, being replaced by a Traynor YCV40 I had already acquired.

One suggestion is that you keep the POD if you can afford to. I sold mine and really regret not having it around for home-use.

i will come out on record saying I hate all line 6 stuff i've tried.

I really really think it all sounds terrible. Sorry :-?

Give me a good amp and a good guitar and i'll be fine... add one or two quality pedals and i'm in heaven. I guess you could say i'm just analog all the way...

there are no unimportant parts. I'd rather have just a guitar and amp if they were good, rather than a bunch of stuff that's mediocre.

KNow what your saying now brad, I just tried a new marshall JCM in my local shop with my LR and there it was, the soound i have been trying to get from my pod for ages!, all with no other pedals!. I have to have it now, but need ?500 first!!. I could use that amp without any effect at all. It just made the POD sound so digitized

Great idea!

I did this two or three years ago, and haven't looked back.

Putting a board together is a blast, and playing through it is even more fun!

I don't know about "board of doom", but I've got:

Boss TU2 > Clyde wah > Analogman BiComp > Amp

Send > Maxon AD900 > Maxon CS-9 Pro > Voodoo Labs tremolo > MXR Micro Amp > Return

Right now I've got a Line6 Tonecore Roto Machine in fron of the tuner(which I like) but plan to replace with the Boss RT-20 as soon as it arrives (which I had a chance to play through today and like better) which is BO'd from MF. Neither of these will fit on my board but I also have a smaller midi switch (drives my Zinky SuperFly) on order which will free up some space. The trem will probably go when the RT20 arrives, too. I like it, but I just don't use it that much (historically, I have been using the chorus/trem combo for Leslie vibe and i really like the sound - not truly Leslie but cool in it's own way - but I don't like that I have to turn two things on and off).

I've tried and removed (but still own):

Visual Sound H2O
Keeley moded TS9 (like it but don't need it with the Superfly - will try to get it back on with the changes above, though)
Old Ibanez Chorus (forget the number - I'm travelling - but it's the same period as the original TS808 with the square switch - I think it's a 505)
Purple special edition CryBaby wah
Guyatone MD3 delay (more sterile than the AD900, but still the best delay buy on the market at ~1/3 the price)

Yeah, building your own board is a blast.

I just finished mine last night (too late to try it...). It wad built from a brand new powder coated chassis and look fab:

Power bank
Ibanez CS9 chorus (original)
Boss Hi band flanger japan
Bozz FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro Fab tone
Dod Juice Box (lovely lovely pedal!)

I am now looking for a Wah and I'm even thinking about swapping the Ibanez chorus for it (original in box + paperwork...not the reissue model).

Back