Tokai Tweed Amp 1x8"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
I finally found one and bought it !!!

Last night I did a sound comparison with my valve Fender Blues Junior

I have to amdit it have an excellent clean tone for a solid state amp. It gives very good strat and tele tones, crunch is not what it was designed for.

The little tweed amp gives a better clean tone.

It makes the blues junior sound as if it's got a blanket over the speaker !

Volume wise the BJ will win

If that is the case then I respectfully suggest there is something wrong with your Blues Junior. Have you got it turned up? Does it need new valves? I just do not accept that an 8 inch solid state amp is going to have anywhere near the sound quality of a 12 inch all-valve combo which is used by thousands of players due to it's rich sound. Is it time to take off the Tokai-tinted spectacles? Of course if you prefer the sound of the solid state 8 inch speaker then good luck to you!

Hi.

I had a Blues Junior, but found it lacking, ie muddy & under powered.
It does sound like mine was in need of a service too, but I didn't have it long. Maybe I should have persevered with it.
I can't see though, how a ss 1x8 combo could compare to an amp like a Blues junior which is a pro gigging amp.
I wouldn't mind the Tokai as a little house amp though. They look pretty cool.

G :)

Good post goddardo! I think all valve amp owners should pay heed to what you have to say. Many folk with valve amps don't realise that they need looking after. I change valves annually when the amp is being serviced. That way the glorious sound is preserved instead of deteriorating. If you don't want the hassle then go the solid state/modelling amp route. I just don't think there is anything like valves on song!

Hutton Steel

I took your advice and changed the valves in the Blues Juinor. I got
a matched pair of Electro Harmonics EL84

Now the veil has been removed from in front of that amp 8)

Many thanks for the tip :D

Latest posts

Back