What DON'T you like on a LP (or LR) style guitar.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My eyes! Ouch!

clmazza said:
I guess you don't like my 68 reissue custom then... :D

I hear what your saying... what's another man's garbage is another man's treasure!

120-2073_img.jpg

1. Flame tops that approach psychedelic overkill in colour and brightness (Give me a violin burst plain top)

2. White or cream pickups. I'm stuck on nickel covered - a bit aged preferred. Don't care for black or zebra too much either, exception being one zebra on bridge and a nickel on the neck, like JP.

3. White pickguards - Cream is nice.

4. Big, fat 59 necks. My hand is too small. A 60 or 59/60 hybrid is ok.

Sunglassess are surely needed! Is that definitely a Gibson? I don't recall seeing a finish like that before. It looks kinda cheap and garish. Maybe it's the strong sunlight that the photo has been taken in. It just doesn't look right though. Come on experts!

Yes, too much red on that finish to me too,I don't like this....

1) Bigsbys - they just look like a bit of car bolted onto the back of a guitar.
2) Tobacco Sunburst (just looks weird)
3) Zakk Wylde and airbrush stuff
4) People who cover them in stickers (applies to any guitar I guess)
5) When they get bought as investments and never played or seen

I WOULD like to see a trapeze tailpiece offered on a Les Paul Model.

Not like the ineffective original contraption that served as bridge and tailpiece on the very first Les Pauls. But a nice tailpiece like on a Byrdland or such ...

Things that put me off:

-Quilt tops
-3 piece plain tops
-Foto flame tops
-Bolt-on LP copies
-People changing the kluson tuners on standards
-The money Gibson spends on lawyers (The PRS singlecut is NOT a LP clone!!!)
-People disguising their MIJ copies into Gibsons...why on earth would you do that apart from trying to rip kids off???
-The balance on heavy LP guitars

The money Gibson spends on lawyers (The PRS singlecut is NOT a LP clone!!!)

Wait for the next one, Gibson sues Fender - after all their guitars are made of wood and have necks and strings that if you strike them make the some notes. :D

Definitely with you on the bolt ons - I always thought the set neck was essential to sound - kind of what defines it as an LP.

Quilt tops are funny things - I used really hate them, but they've grown on me a lot. I still prefer them on other peoples guitars (bit like zebras) - I think they look best under the blue or red translucent finsihes than a traditional burst. The also look great on non LR guitars - like the LRII

Skybone said:
-The balance on heavy LP guitars

I only find this to be a minor annoyance when you're sat down, on a strap they balance brilliantly IMO.

I totally agree about the balance being fine with a strap, but If you play your LP sat down just keep a hand on the neck or you'll get a lovely open book shaped bump on your forehead or a kluson up each nostril!

I'm kind of the opposite. I LOVE Customs ... I was a Fender kinda guy till I bought an Ibanez 70s Black LP Custom copy for $125 on a lark (sorry, sold it years ago, it was pretty worn out) and got into the groove of it:

1. Love the double binding. Love the headstock binding. Gotta have neck binding on my guitars. Okay, it's cosmetic and not really functional, but it's like my bicycles ... I like lugs on the frame and pinstriping ... I like old sports cars with wooden trim on the dash ... makes it more of a crafted piece of art than just an functional device like a Tele.

2. Love the big block fret markers and the one at the first fret. Not crazy about the trapezoid ones on Standards and the missing one on the first fret. I just love that jazzbox 40s-50s ornamental look to them, and all those diamonds on the BIG headstock. Dots are okay.

3. Love pickup covers. Hate naked pickups, especially zebras.

4. Love pickguards, don't like it when they're missing.

5. A sunburst Standard I find ... well, too cliche. I like the solid colors or a darker burst like Tobacco (that jazzbox thing again). Love black, hate white, blondes, gold (throw some 20-inch rims on it while you're at it) or lighter colors. Hate 3-color bursts that look painted on.

5. Love the round Grover tuners, hate the tulip Klusons on Standards.

6. Give me that nice thin neck on my ex-80s LPC with the wide fingerboard, (That's the one I should have kept and refretted, but did the 335 instead.) And keep that action low and "fretless." Hate thick beefy necks.

7. I love single cutaways. Double cutaways turn me off. And, I'm sorry Mr. Gibson, did you invent the friggin' single cutaway guitar or the womanly guitar shape??? I don't think so! So let others use it too, okay?!?

8. Gold hardware, I kinda dig. That jazzbox vibe again. Hate the fact that it doesn't age well.

9. I love rounded Florentine cutaways, not so much sharp Venetians. In fact, if any wooden part of a guitar looks like it can break the skin, I hate it.

10. Given the above, if they can make a 350 thinline or Byrdland solidbody that weighs less than an LP, please do. :) I do like the extra width and height of a wider body off my lap when I sit down to play.

Disclaimer: My Korean Ibanez Artist Reissue violates numbers 4 and 7, but I love it best of all my guitars. Maybe because it represents the biggest thumbing of the nose at Gibson back in the 70s?

And if anyone has a Custom-style guitar that offends them to no end, please feel free to let me take it off your hands and free you of your misery. Hey, I won't even charge you for this service. :lol:

Latest posts

Back