Is my Jazz Sound authentic?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkimmel9

Reaction score
Just bought a Jazz Sound on ebay, but not sure if its authentic. The logo looks kind of like an iron on decal. Do other tokais have that faint line around the logo?
Also, the seller said its from 1978, but it doesnt have the spagetti logo, its the gold cursive style. the serial # is 8911689. Did they make 7 digit jazz basses in '78? There is a small sticker on the back of the neck that says "45" I dont know if that means anything.

Any info would help ASAP, as I need to notify the seller if this thing is fake!
thanks

Any pictures? Without them it's difficult to guess. At least in the 1980 catalog there is no Jazz Bass copy, only a Precision Bass. You might want to check the available catalogs on the main site, too.

My Jazz Sound has a line around the logo sticker - underneath the final finish. If you want to be really sure - take the neck off and have a look at the markings - they should look like those in the pictures below. Also, under the shielding plate under the control strip, there should be similar markings.

Pictures here: www.sub73.net/tokai

Post some pics anyway - always nice to see other Jazz Sounds!

Cheers,

Neil

jkimmel9 said:
Just bought a Jazz Sound on ebay, but not sure if its authentic. The logo looks kind of like an iron on decal. Do other tokais have that faint line around the logo?
Also, the seller said its from 1978, but it doesnt have the spagetti logo, its the gold cursive style. the serial # is 8911689. Did they make 7 digit jazz basses in '78? There is a small sticker on the back of the neck that says "45" I dont know if that means anything.

Any info would help ASAP, as I need to notify the seller if this thing is fake!
thanks

It's probably a TJB45 from 1984 or newer, here's a page from the 1985 catalog:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8511.jpg

The contour of the decal is always visible under the clear coat like on my 1984 Goldstar strat:

tokaiskalle.jpg

Mike

Hey guys,

Just a quick note...
The serial number looks to be from 1989 or later...but it is defineately NOT from 1978.

There is a JB45 from 1982 onwards- including 1989 so this is a more likely scenario. I am of the opinion that basses were not made prior to 1980.

regards
Peter mac

Did they make jazz sounds in 89 with the old fender headstock?
I thought they changed the headstock after '84?

That's right, but you didn't mention an old headstock or show a picture yet. ;) I looked at the early catalogs again, and in 1978 there was a Precision Bass PB80 pictured on the last page incl. a description of another cheaper one, probably a PB40. The Jazz Bass copies appeared first in the 1982 catalog, together with the Telecaster copies. So maybe yours has been put together from a PB neck and a JP body.

jkimmel9 said:
Did they make jazz sounds in 89 with the old fender headstock?
I thought they changed the headstock after '84?

Yes they did. It was only for the american market they changed the headstock. The correct hedstock was used for other markets into the 90's but then seem to have disappeared unfortunately.

Mike

Back