Taking on a Tokai Dealership - Which Models Do You Like?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Hiya Guys

I've been looking in this forum with some interest as my business is on the verge of taking on a significant Tokai dealership here in the UK. We would have access to their range of MIK and MIJ guitars.

We currently deal with Washburn Guitars in the main as we really think they are excellent value for money, build quality is ace...even on the cheap ones, and they sound fantastic. For the SAME reason, we want to stock Tokai too - you guys reitterate what i've always thought about them. Kick Arse guitars!

We will be buying a load of guitars, so I just thought i'd find out what the Tokai Faithful would like to see available.

We will be doing, Flying Vs, Explorers, ALS48s, 50Qs, LC70/80 (depending on which codes you are still working on) LS70/80, LS75/85 as well as the LRIIs, and even LS150 all in a range of colours, tops, finishes etc.

There are probably some i've missed out.

So what i was hoping you might like to suggest your favourite models...give us a bit of an idea of what we need to get in.

Rich

The Les Paul Junior copy with P-90's seems to be what some guys have been looking for lately.

I must admit I'd like to try one out. :wink:

Seconded for the Les Paul Junior. They look so cute in pictures according to my wife! Rich, are you an existing UK guitar shop (any web links etc)? Always good to have someone new to buy Tokai guitars.

Andy.

Great idea to ask here first in my opinion. :) I miss the ES series in your list, because the Tokai copies are probably the closest to the originals and should sell independent from the latest fashion. Same is true for high end Love Rocks, but only if don't try to sell Gibson Historics in the same shop. ;) And if you're able to order new MIJ Tokai Strats from the UK distributor (somehow the Finnish people can), those would probably be a no-brainer as well. Generally I would concentrate on the MIJ stuff with exact specs, because there are already many MIK Tokais in the UK right now. And stay away from those weirdos that claim to be Tokais with different logos etc., if anybody offers them to you.

definatly the japanese loverocks. and japanese strats IF SOME ONE STILL HAS ANY . i know that there are a few in a couple of shops here but these are old stock but still brand new. i emailed ishibashi last year trying to get one but according to noriko who translates english superbly told me that tokai do not build japanese tokais strats any more. but tried to sell me the new fender mij strat, it seems that these new strats are built by tokai. imo ive seen and played one of these new mij fenders and they do feel like a tokai . any one else got any opinions on that .they are definatly better built than older mij fenders and they also have these tex mex pickups

Hi Everyone - thanks for the replies.

Yes, we are already an existing guitar dealer please find our web site at http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk

We are mail order at the moment and have the web site and an ebay shop which we do a lot of business on. We really try to main the highest levels of customer satisfaction - so many guys out there are just box shifters it aint funny! We like and believe in the kit we sell and are prepared to back it up with service to match.

Plug over! :wink:

I will look into your suggestions on the strats and ES ranges etc and see what we can come up with to give the best offering.

I will be using the specific category on the forum to let you all know of new stock we get on Ebay so you can all take a look.

Personally, i'm really looking forward to giving an LC80 in white a test drive...i know they are a bit cock-rock...but i can't help myself....sometimes it is ok to indulge!! haha.

Let me know if you have any more suggestions guys, and I look forward to speaking with you all over the coming months.

Time to make some more noise with and about these fantastic guitars!!

Hmm..wonder if a deal has been done???

No more tokai strats and tokai like Fender Jap Strats??

Wouldn't surprise me, but i don't know. If I find owt out i will let you know.

mike martin said:
definatly the japanese loverocks. and japanese strats IF SOME ONE STILL HAS ANY . i know that there are a few in a couple of shops here but these are old stock but still brand new. i emailed ishibashi last year trying to get one but according to noriko who translates english superbly told me that tokai do not build japanese tokais strats any more. but tried to sell me the new fender mij strat, it seems that these new strats are built by tokai. imo ive seen and played one of these new mij fenders and they do feel like a tokai . any one else got any opinions on that .they are definatly better built than older mij fenders and they also have these tex mex pickups

guitarslinger said:
Hmm..wonder if a deal has been done???
No more tokai strats and tokai like Fender Jap Strats??
Wouldn't surprise me, but i don't know. If I find owt out i will let you know.
That's why I mentioned the Finnish connection... It's well known and officially stated by the Tokai President here that Tokai manufactures Fender Japan guitars (= Fenders for the Japanese market) since 1997 and that Tokai Gakki doesn't produce Fender copies since then anymore:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4434

The strange thing is that every now and then someone from Finland comes up and mentions brand new "MIJ" (not MIK) Tokai Fender copies available in Finnish shops. It might be possible, because the "No more Fender copies" policy may only be valid for the domestic Japanese market and not for export models.

I don't know if or which agreements exist between the UK distributor and Tokai Gakki concerning Tokai export copies of Fenders though, that's why you should ask them if you want to offer Tokai guitars in your Ebay shop.

Don't worry mate - I will be following up the Fender Copies with the UK distributor.

They look awesome, and if they are available we'd like to sell them.

guitarslinger, when you get this dealership I presume you will be taking custom from your European (Irish) fellow forum members? :wink:

Of course mate - Europe and the USA (Although Exchange rates can be a bit of a nightmare)

And if your screen name is anything to go by, we will be getting some left handed models in as well - Tokai don't charge any extra!

LEFTY-GT said:
guitarslinger, when you get this dealership I presume you will be taking custom from your European (Irish) fellow forum members? :wink:

guitarslinger said:
Of course mate - Europe and the USA (Although Exchange rates can be a bit of a nightmare)

And if your screen name is anything to go by, we will be getting some left handed models in as well - Tokai don't charge any extra!

LEFTY-GT said:

Are you going to take over TokaiUK or simply be a dealer of them?

math2014 said:
Are you going to take over TokaiUK or simply be a dealer of them?

We are not taking over Tokai UK, we are just going to be retailing the guitars. Just partaking in a bit of market research before we get the guitars in. :wink:

any of the MIJ love rocks would sell man.... u should stock some LS150's or even the high end LS 320's they are truely stunning guitars and there is always somone on the hunt for these guitars and would prefer to purchase in their specific area rather than to have to get it ordered over the internet.....

i find well with me anyway i still prefer going into a guitar store and buying my guitars rather than to buy online.... i dont like the idea of purchasing somthing that i havent tried out 1st.....

Hiya pal

Yeah - the 150s DO look nice. We will definatly be looking at the "high end" section, as we believe they really do offer fantastic value...and you are right...someone will always want one, they are aspirational instruments. Thanks for your reply.

LoveRocksRule said:
any of the MIJ love rocks would sell man.... u should stock some LS150's or even the high end LS 320's they are truely stunning guitars and there is always somone on the hunt for these guitars and would prefer to purchase in their specific area rather than to have to get it ordered over the internet.....

i find well with me anyway i still prefer going into a guitar store and buying my guitars rather than to buy online.... i dont like the idea of purchasing somthing that i havent tried out 1st.....

Latest posts

Back