MK II pickups, harsh bright and brittle?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Guitar Rig and have a 2002 LC 80 with the vintage Mk II pups. I go either out of the NI footcontroller into an M-Audio FW 410 mic preamp or into a TPS II Tub Preamp system and then into the FW 410. It sounds great throught the TPS II and pretty good going directly into the FW 410.

The comment that was made about the all the noise on some of the presets that goes away when you start playing is actually the sound of the preset before the noise gate cuts in. It seems the gate is slow to cut in or if its not selcted your here all the hum and buzz. When you start playing those presets are distorted and effected that you can't hear the noise but it is still there.I find its difficult to get the basic gate to work properly. If you put the other gate into your Rig you can get rid of all that noise but tweaking it.. There is so much gain and distortion happening in some of those presets that if you had all that gear in hardware form it would be just as loud.

I think the mark two pickups sound good myself and don't find them harsh at all. I have guitars with Gibson Burstbuckers, Seymour Duncan JB and 1960's vintage Gibson pickups and the Mk II's aren't any harsher or brittle sounding in my opinion. They do sound different, however. They are a bit more airy and breezy sounding and maybe not as thick. I am basing this on playing through a 1967 blackface Fender Vibrolux Reverb (tube). When I use a Marshall 2 x 12 Cabinet with Celestions with the Vibrolux it sounds great when using the Tokai with the MK II's.

Those are my thoughts.

Regards, GuitarTed

Back