effects

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_j22

Reaction score
hey, i have the tokai ls80 and nice peavey classic 50 amp. however the amp doesnt have enough gain/distortion that you can get on marshall amps. so what should i be looking to buy. i want a pedal that i can just slam and loads of gain and crunch can be added for a solo. should i be looking for like the BOSS SD1 overdrive pedal, BOSS Distortion pedal...i really dont know what piece of equipment i need. alli know is that BOSS is a highly recommended make.

any help would be great

ben

do you want a more old-school marshall sound or a JCM-xxx kind of sound?

Lol I have a 78 Reborn LS80 and I just sold my Classic 50 yesterday so I'll tell you that you need a Maxon OD808 (miles better than a boss pedal)

Send togps on this forum a msg

It's perfect for what you want and I know exactly what you're looking for because its the same reason I went with the OD808

Buy it and you can thank me when you hear it :wink:

i can second the OD-808 as it is my pedal of choice (though I made a small mod in the tone stack of mine)

BUT it won't get you gobs of distortion, only a nice smooth natural sounding overdrive. For heavy duty crunch, I don't really know... but I've heard good things about a pedal from Tech 21 called the XXL. Can't recommend it firsthand though as i've never had occasion to try it.

OR you could just do what I do and have two OD-808s ;)

You could try the Homebrew Powerscreamer. I use an Aramat Effects Green Machine for a real Tubescreamer sound and crank the Powerscreamer up with the diode set to the third position (far right) for something a bit heavier. The Powerscreamer's a very flexible pedal for my tastes.

just get a pod xt, saves faffing around with wires and duck tape at every gig and when your amp goes west mid gig you can just plug into the PA and carry on!

I only use a Boss GT6 if you have not seen one or heard of one then you are missing out big time.There is a new one out Boss GT8 check them out,There is just not enough room on this page to give all the spec 8)

jonny73 said:
just get a pod xt, saves faffing around with wires and duck tape at every gig and when your amp goes west mid gig you can just plug into the PA and carry on!

line 6 pods stuff sounds ok but it really does sound fake to me... very processed and they sound nothing like what they are supposed to be emulating.....

Rossie said:
I only use a Boss GT6 if you have not seen one or heard of one then you are missing out big time.There is a new one out Boss GT8 check them out,There is just not enough room on this page to give all the spec
and as for these multi effect boards yeah they have some ok sounds but again they have that plastic/processed sounds to them that i really cant work with i need a real tube amp and some original analogue stomp boxes to get the sounds that i wanna acheive.... i would steer clear of multi effects, or amp modelling amplifiers....

there is only one good emulation toy i have came across and that is native instruments Guitar Rig 2 the sounds on there are tremendous fair enuff there isnt as many amp models to emulate but the ones that they do have are really close to the sound of the real amps themselves.... and also there isd a vast array of stomp boxes like the big muff, ibanezx tube sreamer... the RAT, diditechs whammy pedal, jim dunlop crybaby... loads of funky delays and stuff.... IMO this is the best piece of digital amp modelling kit on the market!!!!!

Dave

there is only one multi effects processor that i really liked and that was the digitech RP21 with the tube preamp ther sounds on it were a lot more authentic to what u get on most of these multi effects things....

i have tried out the Boss gt6 and i really didnt like it at all!!!!

to each their own though... if u can find a sound in a piece of kit that u really like then stick to it./... like me for instance i got my amrshall jcm2000triple super lead head about 6 years ago and i dont think i will ever be buying another large half stack again coz this one has every tone i need....

although if i ever do come into some money i would like to get one of those point to point wired marshalls they have advertised on their site......

Dave

yeah I agree with LRR, not to sound snotty but people who like those processors and emulators have usually never had the pleasure of owning the real thing. Those things sound so cheesy in comparison.

Don't know what they're doing to "emulate" but it sure as hell sounds solid-state to my ears!!

Ive had a marshall jcm 2000 super triple lead with 2 4x4 cabs.Its the worst sounding marshall ive had.But as they say,each to his own.like everything else.thats why there is so much choice to have in anything. 8)

Back