Let's hear it for Greco Les Pauls!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here are some pics of my 1980 EGF 1000. Sorry for the poor qualitiy, but my computer gear has definitely less quality than my guitar gear :lol:

body1.jpg

body3.jpg

bodyback1.jpg

PUcavity_neck.jpg

And from me, too: Happy holidays for everyone![/img]

Really nice skywolf,it looks like the '80 EGF-1000's are some really nice guitars,I was even thinking about buying villager's,but I like the slightly thinner neck on my '83 so much I'm not sure if I want a slightly bigger neck(I have small hands),besides when I mentioned "flametop" to my bass player,he told me I am a "plaintop" kind of guy,which is probably true,so I will let the GAS pass.....for now

heres a better pic of my '83 ..

http://hometown.aol.com/hawk0414/myhomepage/profile.html

Nice looking guitar you got there LarryC! I'm loving my Greco as well. I picked up a 1982 EG59-100 and it is sweet indeed. The neck is thicker than my 81 Gibson LP standard (heavily modified and still my favourite) but I got used to it pretty quick.

My Greco has a Gibson logo on it, I wish they'd just left the Greco label. One advantage is people give the guitar a fair chance, say it's one of the nicest Gibson's they've played and then I tell them the truth. :)

Here's some pics:
59-14.jpg
59-15.jpg

59-7.jpg
59-5.jpg

Thanks Spleen,nice axe.
and yeah I agree,most people don't give it a real chance if it doesn't say Gibson.It's mainly non-musicians,drummers,singers,big ego guitar players,etc. who only know the Gibson name.To them,if it's not a Gibson,it must be a piece of crap.Then they hear it,and it's funny how they change their tune real fast.Anymore,I don't even bother telling anyone unless they ask,and it makes me laugh because nobody even notices it says Greco instead of Gibson unless they really check it out,only other guitar players even care about this stuff anyway.

I was just think the only reason someone buys a Greco Les Paul is because they can't find/afford a real late 70's/early 80's Tokai Reborn/Old/Loverock????
Is it true.

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7374859936&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

:oops:

no m8 its not true...high end greco's are every bit as good as early tokai's..try a superreal egf 1000 or 1200 from 79/81 or a mint collection eg59 100 or 120 from 82-85..
they are excellent guitars, and about the same price as the tokai's ...but I think a bit rarer..

I've had 3 High end Greco Super Real's-EG1000,EG900,EG850??all except the EG850 had issues, Never had higher than EG1000 though maybe comparable to a 80's LS120???

i would say generally, the egf-1000's I have had, (not the customs) were equivelent in feel, playability and quality to my early ls-120's, .. as with the tokais the higher greco's were only being graded by flametop intensity and PU's.. I dont think that there is a major difference in the overall build quality from the early LS-80 to LS-200 apart from the level of flame and PU's..(and the rarity and cost!! lol)same with the greco's ..it seems that EG 1000 up were all nitro finish, nicest wood etc...the EGF-1200's are about as rare and expensive as the LS-150 and 200, and have as lovely tops too.....its all very much down to personal choice for each individual guitar ...but generally, I think they are both in the same ball park...I think that the Orville by Gibsons are there or thereabouts too...although the necks tend to be a bit less chunky...again ..generally..the thing I love about all this time period is that you get different guitars, very few are crap ..the overall level of everything in the making of them was, in my view, better than you get today, unless you get hand-built stuff...and for Gibbo historics, thats still quite hit and miss...I have had 12 historics this year, and 3 have been great, I have had about 50 high end japanese 80's guitars of all makes, and 40 have been great...I think all the early 80's japanese LP replicas, with the attention to detail and care and passion of the makers at the time, really stands head and shoulders above most modern guitars..

jesus thats my dissatation finished ...lol...

try a couple more of the top end greco's ..if you can find them, and the Orville by Gibsons, and see what you think ...

I have heard and read from numerous places that the Burny RLG-90s and 120s are just as nice as Tokai and Greco high end models, but sound and play even more true to an original 1959 Les Paul. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

grounded said:
I have heard and read from numerous places that the Burny RLG-90s and 120s are just as nice as Tokai and Greco high end models, but sound and play even more true to an original 1959 Les Paul. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Ha ha! ... that's pretty much a matter of taste and argument about what guitars "sound and play true to an original 1959 Les Paul." And I doubt you'll find anybody on a Tokai Forum who'll agree with that ! :lol:

Look at what VILLAGER said above: "I think all the early 80's japanese LP replicas, with the attention to detail and care and passion of the makers at the time, really stands head and shoulders above most modern guitars."

Even in the 70's, the Ibanez Les Paul copies were really something!

High end Les Pauls from Burny, Navigator, Momose, Tokai, Greco, and Orville hold their own compared with Gibson Les Pauls of any age. Another thing to consider is that there was a great deal of variability among 1959 Les Pauls, which means there really is no single 1959 Les Paul sound!

Disclaimer: I am not a Tokai owner. I am happy with my high-end Orville Les Paul Custom. It's been over 20 years since I played a late 50's Les Paul. Unfortunately, I don't remember them being spectacular!

I've never played a Les Paul so I have no frame of reference to go on. I bought a 1990 Greco Les Paul Custom EGC-600 last year and have no cause for regrets. It produces the sounds I want to hear so I don't worry about whether something else is better or closer to that '59 sound. It feels good in the hand, good around the shoulders and sounds great to the ears.

Obviously I'm just evil as I really don't like those orange-amber flame looks. Most of my guitars are cherry red! Give me something darker any day! :D

Andy.

Just for the record, I accidentally came across a Navigator NST-300M(just because Toaki does nor make such a high end at this time and I cannot find any reasonably priced old replica) and I can says it's a fantastic and I mean fantastic guitar....

Now about Grecos,you have to be an educated on Grecos because they made a lot of models(from very cheap to highest end)....

can anyone give me information about greco les paul standards with 3-pickup configurations? at least it says 'standard' on the truss rod cover. the serial at the back of the headstock is G787662. it appeared to be one of the chambered deals but i've yet to find another one with 3 pickups. i'll try to post pictures soon.

I had one.If it has an ebony board then it's a EG800 model and if it spots a rosewood board then it's a EG600 model.Good guitar but very heavy(pancake body and volute) with a thick poly finish.

tokaigeek said:
can anyone give me information about greco les paul standards with 3-pickup configurations? at least it says 'standard' on the truss rod cover. the serial at the back of the headstock is G787662. it appeared to be one of the chambered deals but i've yet to find another one with 3 pickups. i'll try to post pictures soon.

Hi, normally the 3-pu configuration was only used on Customs. If it has double body bindings, bindings on neck and headstock, it's a Greco Custom with a wrong trussrod cover, if it's a real standard with 3-pu's, it's a rare model. The serial means the guitar was built in July 1978. As far as I know the chambered body was used on the Super Power models and some other lower grades from the late 70's. My EG-800 from 1978 has no chambered body, but a long tenon. It's my favourite around 30 other Grecos including some Super Reals and Mint Collections. Don't be confused by the photo, the electrics of my one are heavily modified by a Japanese Custom shop, so the small switches are not original. If the price is ok get it, the late 70's higher grade Grecos are hot.
Regards
Volker
eg8001978.jpg

Latest posts

Back