STEVE HUNTER & DICK WAGNER

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from anyone who's into these guy's
Two session players from the 70's period. Played the hot solo's for quite a number of famous rock acts. Alice Cooper. Lou Reed (Anyone heard Rock & Roll Animal Live) IMO the best example of live guitar duo's on the planet. Also Aerosmith's Train Kept a Rolling Solo by Dick Wagner.
These guys made me pick up a guitar.

Looking forward to some SH&DW talk

S 8)

Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal" was truely marvelous.

I can't say I've heard any work by SH & DW that match it.

I have heard Frost, Detroit, and Ursa Major. All with DW, IIRC, but IMHO there's nothing to write home about.

My first encounter with SH & DW was listening to Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. They sessioned, often uncredited due to Glenn Buxton's ailing health. Most of the hot solo's on there are played by these guys.

Although the first Cooper album to acknowledge SH & DW, Welcome to my nightmare is a bit more grand/theatrical, there's some sublime playing & tones to be heard. Also Peter Gabriels first solo "Car Album"
features some great playing.

Also Gabriels live Slowburn album features a hot Hunter.

Keep em coming

S 8)

One of my favorite unsung guitar heroes is Jim McCarty.

Not the Yardbirds drummer, this is an American guitarist who was in Mitch Ryder's band, then the Buddy Miles Expres, then in the legendary band Cactus.

Then in the 70's he was in the Rockets (whose cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" did quite well with a lot of radio play in the late 70's).

Rhino put out a couple great studio & live sets that really showed the power of Cactus ... they should have been as big as Led Zeppelin ...

Back