serial number query

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zybernut

Reaction score
do all japanese tokais have serial numbers?. i have been told by a dealer that a lot of new japanese tokai do not have serial numbers. if this is so how do you tell a japanese tokai from a korean?

By the truss rod cover:
2 screws=japanese,3=korean.
But I have to say I got some pictures with 3 screws truss rod covers I am not sure to be korean(ALS models from early 90,s and fLYING Vs REPLICAS).

I wouldn't be to quick to believe that line. To date all Japanese made Tokai's have serial numbers.

Ned

Could this be the Dr. Frankenstein that's creating the MIJ Tokai's w/o SIN's??

http://cgi6.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=nc891&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

it seems to me that the serial number issue is not clear cut. does anyone have connections with tokai to get a definitive answer?

The Tokai Ash Strat that I got from same eBay seller had no visible serial on guitar, but there is a model and serial number on cardboard shipping box which indicates a MIJ axe. Seems to match instrument, so I hope there's no "funny business" going on with origin of manufacture.

Ned's post just got my wheels turning and when I seen how many parts this guy had I just jumped to a conclusion based on nothing really, so I would dismiss any doubts as to his credibility by me. You should be able to judge by the quality of your axe as you previously had a Korean one to compare it to.
It's just funny that my new Korean Tokai Tele has a sin and the new Japanese Tokai's wouldn't.

The guitars that I have bought from this seller seem to be all from Mike's Music. (Wouldn't you just know it.) This is the 3rd Tokai Strat that I've gotten, and they were all beautiful instruments. The first was Korean, with some minor cosmetic problems, and the second 2 are supposedly Japanese manufacture, and in perfect condition. I don't understand the reason behind the various seller names involved, but can't complain about product, shipping time, or price. Maybe the volume of business they do affords the chance to obtain prototypes and limited run issues that are not avalible elsewhere. Anyway, the examples that I have do not have any obvious serial numbers, but sure are wonderful guitars. Seems like it would be alot of trouble to "create" unusual Tokais with matching cardboard shipping boxes and all, for a few hundred dollars.

seen a tokai breezysound in a shop today. brand new. no serial number but told it is a japanese model. a small "made in japan" sticker was visible at the neck heel where it joins the body. it seems new jap breezysounds dont have serial numbers

Latest posts

Back