Tokai GoldStar Info Wanted!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairock

Reaction score
Hi there,
Could you help me? I have an old Tokai GoldStar Sound.
All I know is it is like a '54 Strat reissue. Alder body with maple neck.
2824 serial# on the neck plate. It has Gold pickguard, how do I call them.

I would like any information as to age, neck profile, and model. Thanks in advance.

What is a reasonable price for this guitar?

Please visit the link below for pictures
http://communities.msn.com/Tokai/shoebox.msnw

Thanks a lot
Johnson

Well, a couple of things that would help:

Take off the strings and remove the pickguard...

Look for letters stamped on the backs of the pickups...

Look for any writing in the pick up cavities...

That information should help identify the model.

Im not sure, but I don't think the pickguard is an original...

Can't access the pics (firewall restrictions) but it sounds, from the specs and the 4 digit serial, exactly like my own TST60. If so it should have a round string retainer (as a pre 56 Strat), not a butterfly. Neck profile should be a very subtle 'V'. Gold pickguard will almost certainly be a replacement.

James

Well, if this is the same one that is now on Ebay... your pricing is a tad out of whack...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=873669019

Especially when you consider that if the pickguard was changed, who knows what else attached to it is non-original (ie pickups and other hardware)... $700 - 900 buy-it-now is way too high...

Hi Johnson
This guitar is probably a TST-50 neck on a TST-60 body - body is ALDER, not Ash - year would be between 1984 - 1986. Serial # is for a TST-60 but the neck is TST-50 (1958 U-shape)
Pickguard and saddles are not original. Tokai had specific wiring of their pickups so a pic of the layout would determine if these have been changed. Pickup letters would give a better indication of Model so this info would be helpful.
This is not a "lawsuit-era" guitar as there was no lawsuit.
Metallic Red was one of the 5 standard colours and quite common, the ding shows the finish is poly, not nitro, again pointing to a TST50 or 60

In terms of value, $500 would be a fair asking price, $700 is way too much for what it is.
regards
Peter

You're headed in the right direction... but 600 - 800 way too high still. Perhaps if you can show pictures of the back of the pickups and other details that make this an unknown you might get more nibbles. The swapped out pickguard is a concern because that casts doubts on the pickups themselves...

I purchased Johnson's Tokai strat and it is my first Tokai. I inspected the Tokai throughly as possible, single piece alder in metalic red, stamped MR-84 in the cavity, pups are "E" stamped-VS-1 Dimarzio (class of 55 model), one piece maple neck with a very soft "V" neck, non modified head stock, had original 8 holes for the single ply,"T" lettered decal,but came with 12 hole gold pic-guard, 2 screw trem system,a nd a buterfly retainer, the first two items were changed with Fender pic guard and 57 reissue trem system- greatly improved the over all sound- but cannot figure out the string retainer situation. So, I believe by the catalogues that this was and is now a TST-80 - anybody confirm?? Victor

Back