Tokai, Fernandes, Burny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkieNL

Reaction score
Hi all,

back in the 80ies there were other Japanese manufacturers besides Tokai who made nice Fender and Gibson copies. Fernandes made nice Strats and Les Pauls under its own name and under the name of Burny (Gibson copies).
Were there any connections between Tokai/Fernandes/Burny? Same factory perhaps?

There is another strand on the forum where some info was given regarding the links. I understand that Fernandes guitars were made at the same factory as Tokais at some point - probably late 70's and early 80's. That's not the case anymore though. Burny was Fernandes' brand for the Japanese market and I believe it was only used for their Gibson replicas. That brand is still going strong in Japan as far as I know. Greco was a brand from Ibanez and they weren't export models either. Greco LP replicas (the EG series) were very close to the original models (as were Tokai/Fernandes-Burny) but the lower end of the range had bolt-on necks rather than the traditional set necks which were for the higher spec models. It's unlikely you'll find one outside of Japan but if you do it's worth considering.

I recently bought a Fernandes LP P90 Gold top.It's the one with the Fernandes Super Grade logo.Poss 80's-90's.Nickel parts,full fret castelations on the binding etc.Out of 5
US LP's I've had over the years, this is by far the best sounding by miles. A real woody vintage tone.Even though it's got P90's, it's tone smacks of Page, since I've been loving you.Kossoff, Fire and water,Ram jam, Black betty.What more can I ask.Get one if you can.

Hi There,

My local music shop (Amen Corner in Bracknell) has the new range of Burny Les Paul look-alikes. Bodywise they're pretty much spot-on - headstock, horn etc..... but the vol/tone controls have been simplified and the neck pick-up is a sustainer.

They're wicked axe's - if you like the Les Paul shape, feel and balance, but want something just that bit different - great sustain and harmonic feed-back !!!

I have no association with the shop - apart from being a reasonably satisfied customer - and it's a 2 minute walk from where I work at Dell ...... they also have a new Tokai telecaster with edge binding - haven't tried it yet - maybe later in the week.

Hi Paul,
Amen Corner Music is where I bought the Custom BreezySound, so it sounds like the one you spotted - I might try the Burny though ....

Cheers .. Andy

I Tried a Burny LP in Manchester recently.They're not a patch on the earlier Tokai/Fernandes LP's, of which I've had a few.It's almost comparable to the quality difference between the first JV Squiers and today's current Squiers.Stick out for a used Tokai/Fernandes LP

Back