Differences between Fender Strats?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredfreak

Reaction score
Hi guys! Little help needed.

Is there any big differences between Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS and it's quilted and flame maple top versions. Qmt/Fmt Strats don't have pickguards and they have only two knobs. My worry is about their feeling, so is there any difference between regular HSS Strat and maple top models. American Deluxe Strat felt good but I'm afraid that maple top models have too sharp body edges. What about neck?

Thanks for the help!

My son uses a Flame Maple Top Strat Deluxe and he absolutely loves it! There is no pickguard due to the fact that you obviously wouldn't want to hide any of that gorgeous flame maple. The neck is C-shaped and has an ebony fingerboard. The maple top does not have any harsh edges and sits very comfortably against the body as you would expect from a strat. There is bound to be some sound differences due to the different woods being used but to answer your question there doesn't appear to be any big differences between the two guitars. Play them both and decide which sound you like. Looking at them though I know which one I'd go for! It's therefore down to the old adage - you pay your money and make your choice!

Hutton Steel said:
My son uses a Flame Maple Top Strat Deluxe and he absolutely loves it! There is no pickguard due to the fact that you obviously wouldn't want to hide any of that gorgeous flame maple. The neck is C-shaped and has an ebony fingerboard. The maple top does not have any harsh edges and sits very comfortably against the body as you would expect from a strat. There is bound to be some sound differences due to the different woods being used but to answer your question there doesn't appear to be any big differences between the two guitars. Play them both and decide which sound you like. Looking at them though I know which one I'd go for! It's therefore down to the old adage - you pay your money and make your choice!

Thanks for the info! I absolutely fell in love with American Deluxe Strat but I've always wanted to have real quilted or flaimed top in one of my guitars. Unfortunately when I tried American deluxe I didn't got a change to try it with amp and when I came back to the store to see if there was any amps free that damm guitar was sold ! :( And I was away only for an hour. :-?

I haven't seen any FMT or QMT models in stores so I can't really try them but as you said they should feel pretty similar. About sound, I don't know how thick the maple top is but if it affects to sound it's only a good thing in my opinion. So the maple top would be maybe even better for me than having full alder body.

If you like the QMT or FMT definitely go for it. You will love the sound - nicely deep and full. It is glorious. The standard version is really like a normal strat with a bucker. The QMT/FMT version is like having something a bit special.

Back