Just got my LS-120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkissin

Reaction score
Wow, what a great guitar esp. for $910 delivered! :D

The neck is identical to my Gibson Custom & Historic 1956 Goldtop. Very nice, well matched top. A bit heavier than I'd like at 9 lb 15 oz but it sounds great! If there's one thing I could change, it would come with bigger frets (I like .60 x .100s), but I really can't complain.

My plan was to swap out the pups with a set of 8K/9K Fralins that I have on hand, but these sound pretty good to me. Should I make the switch?

I showed the guitar to the guys at the music store where I take lessons and their jaws dropped when I described the features and what it cost. :eek:

rkissin said:
I showed the guitar to the guys at the music store where I take lessons and their jaws dropped when I described the features and what it cost. :eek:

Hehe :lol:

yeah i would like to see a pic... i plan to get an LS150 as soon as i can raise the cash going by the playability of my newLS75 any model tokai above the 75 must be killer!!

OK, I'll post some pics ASAP.

I put the Fralins in and the tone is MUCH improved.

What's next... replace the caps, I think.

Dang! Put a blank Gibson truss rod cover on this thing and it will look for all the world like a '59 Les Paul.

LoveRocksRule said:
yeah i would like to see a pic... i plan to get an LS150 as soon as i can raise the cash going by the playability of my newLS75 any model tokai above the 75 must be killer!!

I was all set to go for the LS-150 but it was only available in matte finish from Ishibashi... :(

rkissin said:
Dang! Put a blank Gibson truss rod cover on this thing and it will look for all the world like a '59 Les Paul.

The Gibson TRC's don't quite fit. You could either expand the holes in the cover (looks naff) or have one of the holes re-drilled by a trusted tech.

I had one made from scratch which looks perfect but I've lost the guy's contact details. :(

As far as I remember, I put a bell TRC from an old Burny and it fited(screws a little not correct in angle tough). I tried a Rockinger TRC and I had to drill a new hole on the guitar however.

Just for the record: Tokai,Burny and Greco have a slight different headstock size,being smaller the Tokai(vintage correct),then Burny and Greco('78 one) the wider.And there is a slight difference between mid end a high end Tokais......

Pictures. The violin finish is more subtle, nicer than it looks in the picture because of flash.

LS120a.jpg

Lighting and photography can have a big effect - VF guitars can look cherry in the right conditions because the red is brought out to extremes.

VF is more of a faded sunburst, and my personal favourite.

Back