Let's hear it for Greco Les Pauls!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I am lovin' my Greco LP!! I have been playing just this guitar for 6 months now.I now only own one other electric,a Reverend Spy.I have previously owned 4 Gibson LP's in the past and I like this one better than any of them.It weighs 8.75 lbs,Antiquities and a bell shaped truss rod cover were in it when I bought it,(I did get the original "Screamin' PAF's too,which I heard are hotter),"orangy sunburst",I'm still not sure,I think it's a very thin poly finish.Other than that,seems like a perfect copy 59 LP.These guitars get no respect but I'm not complaining...it is nice to find this forum where you aren't made to feel like a freak because the guitar doesn't say Gibson on the headstock

I just got my '89 EG59-70 in the other day. First LP i have ever had. I am loving it. It is much nicer tone than the squier strat i learned on. My scale has it coming in at around ~8lbs maybe a little more. So Monday i am going to the post office for the weight and to the chemistry lab to check the finish.

Here are some pics

353348403_l.jpg

353350779_l.jpg

hey villager post some pics of that EGF-1000. it is too hard to see on your site. Does it have a moving flame?

villager,that is one sweet looking guitar,what year is that one?

here's a pic of mine:

its a 1980 ..I also have a mint collection EG59-100 and a EG59-120 which are both bitchin' guitars...the super reals have fatter necks though ...difficult to say which I prefer..lol depends on the day of the week...

I also have a super real EGF-1200 coming ..that should be special ....they are so rare now...

Duckmeister said:
So Monday i am going to the post office for the weight and to the chemistry lab to check the finish.

Hey Duckmeister,

I'd guess that your guitar has a poly finish as poly is liable to chip rather than "wear away" like nitro.

No matter - it's a great looking guitar!

Jim

Jim Jones said:
Duckmeister said:
So Monday i am going to the post office for the weight and to the chemistry lab to check the finish.

Hey Duckmeister,

I'd guess that your guitar has a poly finish as poly is liable to chip rather than "wear away" like nitro.

No matter - it's a great looking guitar!

Jim

Man it may not be Nitro, i checked it today it might be french shellac :D , but this thing is beautiful in person. It has this color change about it that is striking. It is literally a moving plaintop. Here is a pic of it. The full size pic of this look better you can see it clearer, this is hard to get on camera.

358533637_l.jpg

358546633_l.jpg

This finish is really thin. It looks like Nitro it even has nitro-esque dents.

BTW i weighed it and came out to be 8lbs 11.5oz.

I have a 1980 EGF 1000 (just the same that villager has) and it's definitely the best LP I ever played. I would buy a second one if I could afford. Not at the moment, but I will get one :wink: Waiting for news on villager's coming EGF 1200 :D

I can't t really explain the difference, but it just feels best of all. When you play it, it's like your hands are one with the neck. And it's a very beautiful guitar!

Even the high spec Grecos have 3-piece body, but I don't find that bad.

So there a both 2 and 3 piece bodies? Or would that mean that my EGF-1000 is not really a 1000 (no sticker there)?

I really love those Grecos. I think about selling my Gibson Standard for the EG1200 :wink:

Has the Mint Collection a thinner neck?

the lower end mint eg59-70 and 85 seem to have thinner necks ..the eg59-100 and 120 are as fat as the EGF-1000..

send me a pic of your 1000 wolf...also look in the light shining on the HS back where the sticker would have been ...they sometimes leave an imprint there...

Ok that explains why my neck on my 70 feels thin. I was expecting a fat neck guitar.

BTW post some pics of that 100 villager i just looked at your site and that thing is GORGEOUS!

What is the exact weight of both of those (120 and 100)?

I will post a pic of my EGF1000, but as I don't have a digicam, give me a day or two :-?

I will try looking where the sicker has been, but I think I would have noticed it. The guy I bought it from said there was a sticker when he got the guitar and he lost it. I think you can trust him, he has a good feedback on ebay, is around for some time and was a very nice guy to be in contact with!

But AFAIK none of the Grecos has a long tennon, or am I wrong? I wonder if that really does affect sound and sustain ... :wink:

heres the EG59-100 they are both around 8.6-8.8lbs, the 120 is the heavier ...slightly...

wolf, I will check for long tenon, Greco's used what they called a 'Deep Neck Joint' which is a long tenon ...but looks different...

guitartop.jpg

grecoEG59-100002.jpg

The Grecos all seem to have black painted PU cavities. I read about that "Greco long tennon" too, but I don't know how to spot it. In the neck PU cavity of mine you can't see anything tennon-like.

Another great one, villager!

I wouldnt say all have black cavities

d6_3.JPG

This tenon is about the same as the old 50s Lesters had.

man that 100 is pretty

Back