Help identifying my Fernandes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublestop

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and this looks like a great forum!

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me identify this guitar. I've had it for years and originally swapped it for another guitar purely because I liked the way it played and sounded.

It is obviosuly a Fernandes s-type guitar but that is about all I know. I ask because it looks like I will have to (regretfully) sell it and I do not even have a rough idea as to how much it is worth or indeed what I should advertise it as.

A picure speaks a thousand words so please have a look and let me know what it is and what I can reasonably be expecting to charge for it. The neck is the best feature for me, really slim with great looking wood and an absolute joy to play. The pickups have never been changed by me and the guitar sounds very much as you would expect a good strat to sound (in fact better than many Fenders I have owned).

full.jpg

body.jpg

body_back.jpg

headstock.jpg

back.jpg

As you can see the previous owner was a little rough with his belt buckle (or sander! :cry: ) on one place at the back. It has never bothered me but no doubt it detracts from the value.

electrics.jpg

headstock_back.jpg

I would be grateful for any information you might be able to give me, many thanks.

:eek: Dont know the value but that thing looks to have killer MOJO!!! Nice score!

I have a fernandes tele from the same era early to mid 80's is my guess.As far as price $400 or so mabe a little less because it's a fernandes but great guitars IMO.

fewmm said:
:eek: Dont know the value but that thing looks to have killer MOJO!!! Nice score!

I got it about eight or nine years ago and was coming to the end of my gigging days. I probably used it as my second guitar for 2-3 gigs. Funnily enough every time I played it out people would come and ask what sort of guitar it was because it made such a great sound. At the time I was playing mainly 70s and 80s US Fender Strats. My father had owned a white '62 Strat and told me that of all my strat guitars this one nailed the sound and mojo the most accurately of all of them. Obviously I have nothing to gauge that against but I do know that it sounds VERY straty. The in between pickup sounds are amazing and the neck pickup is really full. It does everything from SRV style blues to funk with amazing tone. It is a great player too with such a slim but stable neck and quite chunky fret wire. I wouldn't sell it only I play more country chicken pickin' stuff now and don't own a Tele and I really want one.

mrdist said:
mabe a little less because it's a fernandes but great guitars IMO.

It's funny but I had an Ibanez super strat floyd rose thing and wasn't getting on with it. I heard through a friend that his friend might swap a black Tokai strat for my Ibanez. I had heard great things about Tokais even then and agreed to do a trial swap, bearing in mind the Ibanez was quite expensive and I had bought it new.

As soon as I got the Tokai home I realised it wasn't for me, it just felt dead to me and so I said I wasn't up for the permanent swap. In short the guy had screwed me and had already sold the Ibanez on. My foolish mistake. :oops:

Then about a week later I was at work in a music shop I helped out in and a kid came in and asked if I was the guy with the Tokai who wanted rid. He asked if I would swap it for this Fernandes. I played it and really liked it, it was springy and light and made a beautiful sound. He played the Tokai and for reasons I can't even begin to fathom said he loved it and couldn't put it down. We swapped and that was that. I kept in touch and he became a good friend and still owns the Tokai 'Blackie' lookalike. I've played several Tokais since and can see what the appeal is (as a rule they are amazing) but that one, I still can't understand what he sees in it. I definitely got the better guitar, value didn't come into it. :)

Fernandes make a pretty decent Strat.

The first I saw was in the early 90's. This friend of a friend learned I played guitar and asked if I would help set up his guitar for him. He was a starter and didn't know how. Well, it turned out to be this nice two-toned Fernandes strat copy. I don't think I'd ever heard of them at the time. I adjusted the trem, etc and played it a bit. It was as good as any strat-type guitar.

Latest posts

Back