Can anyone tell what model my LoveRock is please?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontfret!

Reaction score
Hope I'm not on the wrong section! I just bought a 1985 LoveRock off ebay serial # 5030804 which arrived today and I was surprised to find it had fret end binding like a Gibson and has a one piece back. I'm assuming this means it is a higher end model than the LS50 I expected can anyone offer a diagnosis as to what it is?

Summary:

One piece mahogany body
1/2 inch solid maple 2 piece plain top in cherry sunburst
What I'd describe as a medium shape neck with large frets
Fret edge binding
No number stamped at body end of neck (was this only on the very early ones?)
Neck tenon flush with pickup rout
"LoveRock model" is silk screen type and not lacquered over (feels like on a historic reissue Gibson)
Single ring kluson type tuners with lines on the back and "deluxe" written vertically below the oiling hole and vintage type bushings
Nickel hardware.
Pickups are black open coil with no markings at all on the rear which have had covers on at some time in the past. The seller did not know if they were the originals as he had only owned it for a year or so, pickup solder joints very poorly redone so may or may not be original.

If that helps someone identify the model I'd be glad to know what it is.

Hi Hans the ebay pictures were poor which is why this buy was a bit of a gamble which appears to have paid off! The images don't show any real details. Can I just copy and paste a few new ones from my computer if I take them?
Simon

dontfret! said:
Can I just copy and paste a few new ones from my computer if I take them?
No, you have to upload them to a web server and then include their URLs in the forum editor with the

dontfret! said:
Hope this works!!!
If you want to embed the pictures in the forum, you have to put tags around each link like this one for example:

[img]http://www.albumtown.com/data2/e213e90ae7c55e7e8c2a5e9d7394a067/52812_p774050.jpg

On this picture you can see the solid bookmatched plain top, the "CS" color code and the fret binding. That's why I would agree that this is probably a 1985 LS80, also because of the 1-piece back. It's interesting that it doesn't have the circuit board usual found in Love Rocks of this period (except for the top model LS200, that is). Maybe the same guy who took off the pickup covers also took out the board...

52812_p774058.jpg

Hi hans-j?rgen

I want to know the difference with Single ring kluson type tuners "deluxe" written and " TOKAI " written . I have read the catalogue 79-81' The tuners was engraved "TOKAI" , Which year they changed the Tuners?

mayfair said:
Which year they changed the Tuners?
Sorry, I don't know. My 1984 LS60 also has "Deluxe" written on them, and my 1981 LS120 doesn't have the original tuners anymore. Maybe you can find the answer in an older forum thread with the search function, or someone else with an older Love Rock might tell us...

dontfret!, thanks for the pics.
First of all, I don?t know if you would like to buy or sell this guitar. I report now from the view and point of a buyer.

What makes me distrustfully is:

1. The PUP cavity is strange. It seems, somebody scratches away the original model script and color code. And after that, it is new over written and new painted. Why should some body do this?
2. The frets have binding over. (looks like LS 80 and over)
3. But the top looks like a LS50 2 pcs. top
4. Even in 1985 the LS 60 had a Tiger cross laminated top, and the LS 80 had a Flamed maple laminated top.
5. The pots and the wiring is not original.
6. The TRC is not original

Anyhow, this guitar may be a good player. I only reflect it from the point of a Tokai guy.

Here some original cavities:

a LS60 in CH (cherry sunburst)

g33908093lespaulrebornls6079ch.jpg

a LS60 in OS (old sunburst)

m13508813lespaulrebornls6078ch.jpg

Latest posts

Back