Greco vs Tokai vs Fernandes necks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenSoup

Reaction score
Hi. I have played 1982 (I guess) and 1985 Tokai Silverstars. The older one (black one) played like heaven (soundwise), all pickup combinations are perfect usable 10000 times more than any NEW Fender (maybe except custom shop). The 1985 player worse, it is even in worse shape (frets are worn off too much) but I had one problem with those guitars - the neck is too thin for me. And I dont mean the size only, but also the distance between strings - those Tokais felt like violin to me, or a children guitar - the string were too close to each other that I had to pay a lot of attention. I am used to 7.25 inch radius from my 50s style Fender, so its not the case.

Do you know if the Greco and Fernandes neck are the same as Tokais, or if they have different shape?

Thank you for any info :wink:

I have read that the 57 style guitars from the Fernandes Revival series have chunkier necks. I have an RST-50 64 modal which is based off a 64' strat and has a slightly thinner neck. But I wouldn't say as then as the modern C necks.

I can't offer much but here ya go

Fernandes: The Revival, serial # range L060***, round laminated rosewood 'board (like a '64)
nut width: 1 5/8"
neck thickness @ fret 1: .802"

Greco: Super Power SE, from February, 1982/serial # range B82****, maple neck as a '57
nut width: 1 11/16"
neck thickness @ fret 1: .878"

Tokai: Goldstar Sound, circa 1984, serial # range L2****, round laminated rosewood (like a '64)
neck thickness @ fret 1: .835"

That is only three examples but what I find interesting is the nut width on both the Greco & Tokai are 1/16" wider than the Fernandes The Revival. That may not seem like much but could be a thing, for some folks.
I would consider neck width at the nut to be extremely consistent from example to example, within any particular brand/model line.
Conversely, I would not expect the same with neck thickness, as I have had several Goldstar Sound examples, some with thinner necks, and some with pretty healthy/thicker necks.
From my experience the earlier Goldstar Sound examples seem to (generally) have thicker necks than later examples.
YMMV

guitar hiro said:
I can't offer much but here ya go

Fernandes: The Revival, serial # range L060***, round laminated rosewood 'board (like a '64)
nut width: 1 5/8"
neck thickness @ fret 1: .802"

Greco: Super Power SE, from February, 1982/serial # range B82****, maple neck as a '57
neck thickness @ fret 1: .878"

Tokai: Goldstar Sound, circa 1984, serial # range L2****, round laminated rosewood (like a '64)
neck thickness @ fret 1: .835"

That is only three examples but what I find interesting is the nut width on both the Greco & Tokai are 1/16" wider than the Fernandes The Revival. That may not seem like much but could be a thing, for some folks.
I would consider neck width at the nut to be extremely consistent from example to example, within any particular brand/model line.
Conversely, I would not expect the same with neck thickness, as I have had several Goldstar Sound examples, some with thinner necks, and some with pretty healthy/thicker necks.
From my experience the earlier Goldstar Sound examples seem to (generally) have thicker necks than later examples.
YMMV

thank you very much for your reply. I will be trying that Tokai next week, Im not sure if I will get used to that thin neck. I have Fender Blacktop which doesnt have thin or thick neck (littlebit thicker than mexican Fenders) and also some Ibanezes that have very wide necks but thinner thickness

My two cents:

Grecos vary a lot, generally getting thicker/wider over time. The width is generally over 42 mm and under 43, but the consistently widest ones I've come across so far have been 1980-1982 SE450s and 700s (basically the same guitar with different pickups) which have all been 43,2 - 43,4 mm across the nut (well into LP territory), with a nice medium/fat oval profile. the high-end SE800 tends towards fat necks, with V-profiles coming in from 1979-80, but they're not overly wide, maybe 42,5 mm or slightly more.
Many pre-1978 Greco SE models come with narrower bridges (with 10 mm saddles) and a correspondingly narrower string pitch, but the ones I've had haven't really been that narrow across the nut.

Most Tokai Silver Stars I've had (5 or 6) have been SS/TSS38s or 40s with smallish, narrow necks, under 42 mm at the nut. I've also had an SS50 neck that was equally narrow, but quite a lot deeper in profile. The only wide one I've come across was a rare off-catalog 1981 SS36 from a small batch made by Fujigen. Since it was essentially a Greco SE450 with another logo and different pickups, it had a really wide neck, 43 mm plus.
Springys and Goldstars are generally 42,5 mm or slightly more with a nice oval profile with rounded shoulders. Great necks.

Fernandes RST-50s feel generally similar to Tokai ST/TSTs to me. They're narrower across the nut but seem to widen fairly quickly down the neck so it's not that noticeable imo. My fave Fernandes Strat neck is on the undocumented 1982-84 Limited Edition entry-level models, less accurately detailed vintage copies, but great guitars with wider necks than the Revivals. I've no experience of RST-80s.

My two cents:

Grecos vary a lot, generally getting thicker/wider over time. The width is generally over 42 mm and under 43, but the consistently widest ones I've come across so far have been 1980-1982 SE450s and 700s (basically the same guitar with different pickups) which have all been 43,2 - 43,4 mm across the nut (well into LP territory), with a nice medium/fat oval profile. the high-end SE800 tends towards fat necks, with V-profiles coming in from 1979-80, but they're not overly wide, maybe 42,5 mm or slightly more.
Many pre-1978 Greco SE models come with narrower bridges (with 10 mm saddles) and a correspondingly narrower string pitch, but the ones I've had haven't really been that narrow across the nut.

Most Tokai Silver Stars I've had (5 or 6) have been SS/TSS38s or 40s with smallish, narrow necks, under 42 mm at the nut. I've also had an SS50 neck that was equally narrow, but quite a lot deeper in profile. The only wide one I've come across was a rare off-catalog 1981 SS36 from a small batch made by Fujigen. Since it was essentially a Greco SE450 with another logo and different pickups, it had a really wide neck, 43 mm plus.
Springys and Goldstars are generally 42,5 mm or slightly more with a nice oval profile with rounded shoulders. Great necks.

Fernandes RST-50s feel generally similar to Tokai ST/TSTs to me. They're narrower across the nut but seem to widen fairly quickly down the neck so it's not that noticeable imo. My fave Fernandes Strat neck is on the undocumented 1982-84 Limited Edition entry-level models, less accurately detailed vintage copies, but great guitars with wider necks than the Revivals. I've no experience of RST-80s.
Hi.
When you talk of "undocumented 82-84 limited edition entry-level models" , are you talking of ST 40 model , but this one appear between 85-88 on catalogs ? or is it other unknown (for me) model ?

My two cents:

Hi,

Some information about telecaster 80's necks : fernandes revival rte, greco tl, tokai breezysound : width nut, thickness, profile ?

I've seen a revival rte 42,5 mm width , and read that a greco tl width is 42,3.

No necks over 43 mm ?

Thank you for any info (and excuse my poor english)

Back