Memphis guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about Memphis branded guitars from the 70's? I realize that current guitars bearing the Memphis name are cheap third-world planks, But I recently purchased an obviously old and well played Memphis Precision clone and it's really a nice axe. It nails the CBS Fender look, feel and tone so well, it's no wonder the term "lawsuit guitar" is so legendary. Natural finish (alder, I'm guessing), maple neck (made from three pieces laminated together), good hardware and typical 70's features. "Made In Japan" stamped on the neckplate. Memphis peghead logo apparently silkscreened directly onto the wood and sprayed over, featuring a swoopy, stylized "M". My question is...who made this guitar??? Ibanez? Univox?

I know this is an old thread but, I have a really old Memphis Les Paul Custom copy. It's black with white binding and has the Gibson open book style headstock and even a volute! I remember replacing the pups a while back ago since the stock ones were crazy microphonic and get any amp squealing like a pig. The other hardware I left stock including the tuners that were horrible.

Anyways, I was told that this guitar was probably made in the Ibanez factory when they were putting many other names on their headstocks.

Ps-I still have the guitar at my parents house and even bought some Gibson pups about 6 months ago to pop in there. I'm sure I will eventually get around to taking care of that business on my next trip out there.

Back