Breezysound guitar top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickH

Reaction score
Does anyone know what woods Tokai used on their tops. I have an early eighties model (s/no L22437) and it has an unusual but lovely burred top. It's half bound and I've I've had it from new and it plays very well but cannot find any info about this guitar. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Their stock appears to be rising with the resurrection of the company.

Hi Mick,

Breezysounds were generally made of alder, apart from a couple of special ash and rosewood models. Take a look here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html

See if you can find anything that looks like your guitar. If its got a bound edge it sounds to me like it might be a TTE-70 (see the Early 80s catalog, page 4). Take a look at the 'Guitars' page on the site too, and check what headstock logo your guitar has.

Cheers

James

Thanks James, you're a star. The guitar was advertised in the 85 catalogue (I'm sure I bought it before that, but maybe I'm wrong, and is a TTE60TM but mine has a maple rather than rosewood neck. The rather nice top I referred to is tortoiseshell mahogany, hence the TM suffix.

Thanks again James

Glad to be of help. Y'know, I've looked at that catalog dozens of times and have never noticed that tortoiseshell finish was mahogany. Thats a really cool finish :smile: I reckon thats got to be a pretty rare guitar - I've seen a couple of bound edge Breezys, but not with that top. If you get a chance send in some pictures to Ned at the Registry.

James

Back