NGD 1981 LS100S ON All Mahogany Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LS100S gt were made exactly the same as other ls100s models whether OR, ON or GT and according to Peter's book solid body with solid Mahogany top. The same body was also used on LC100 and 110 models.

mdvineng said:
LS100S gt were made exactly the same as other ls100s models whether OR, ON or GT and according to Peter's book solid body with solid Mahogany top. The same body was also used on LC100 and 110 models.

I would like to confirm it with someone who has it in hand and can look.

mdvineng said:
Offered for 2yrs only in Old Red, Gold Top and Old Natural. S is for solid and from Peter's book " 1 piece carved Mahogany body" not capped then. Dimarzio pups as std.

I was going by this information until I looked and discovered these have a cap as settebello said.

And note it says “Mahogany body“. Nothing about the top.

8) just read the 1981 tokai catalog spec chart and about the LS100S. the LS100S (Solid) has a 1 piece mahogany top & 1 piece mahogany back construction on all the colors available then. GT & OR & ON?

HAMAMATSU said:
8) just read the 1981 tokai catalog spec chart and about the LS100S. the LS100S (Solid) has a 1 piece mahogany top & 1 piece mahogany back construction on all the colors available then. GT & OR & ON?

Awesome. Thank you!

Sigmania said:
mdvineng said:
Offered for 2yrs only in Old Red, Gold Top and Old Natural. S is for solid and from Peter's book " 1 piece carved Mahogany body" not capped then. Dimarzio pups as std.

I was going by this information until I looked and discovered these have a cap as settebello said.

And note it says “Mahogany body“. Nothing about the top.

Yes Peter's book doesn't mention a cap but he never said it was infallible but it's a darn good resource. Especially if you don't read Japanese

Thanks everyone. This has been a learning experience for me to say the least. These “solid” models are really special among a range of amazing guitars by Tokai.

I continue to be blown away by the guitars Tokai built in what I consider a golden period in Japanese guitar manufacturing.

I appreciate all of your help and patience.

Hopefully I’ll get my hands on a copy of Peter’s book one day. I missed out on the first printing.

Thanks all!

mdvineng said:
https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-1982-catalogue/

See page 31

Thanks mdvineng. I just did screen captures of every page in that catalog to save. Crazy that I had only been looking at the '81 catalog all this time and completely missed all the info in the Spring '82 catalog. Thanks!

I was going to try Google translate, but when I go in there I don't see the icon or option for translating photos at all. Did they change the site? Am I missing something?

Can someone send me a direct link to the page that has the option to translate thru an image?

Thanks again!

after wading thru the few posted Tokai catalogs from the era & by viewing the body cross section diagrams offered within those catalogs, there is not a single body cross section diagram that implies a single 1 piece body for a LS model, nor for a LC model.
The diagrams I saw imply a 1 piece body back with a 1 piece top, for LS & for LC.
So, your LS is most likely a single 1 piece back, with a single 1 piece top.

If Tokai would have ever made a single 1 piece LS, or LC body from the era, then they forgot to post the body cross section diagram that implies that. :lol:

Just reading through Peter's book on the LC models. The LC60 had a 2 piece Mahogany top and the 100/110 had 1 piece Mahogany top just like the LC100S.

That’s interesting. I was wondering what was different about the customs other than the aesthetics.

Would be cool to do side by side comparisons of all the Love Rocks from one year like 1981.

I got out my ‘79 LS80 Gold top yesterday to play side by side with this guitar. It has the same pickups. 2 piece top (I believe) and one piece back.

I’ve always loved that guitar, but just apples to apples hitting the same chords, this all mahogany guitar sustains miles longer.

One of the things that means is less work. Less picking. Made me think of Eric Clapton’s nickname “Slowhand” and the role of the amazing guitars he had on his playing style.

I didn’t compare it to my ‘82 LS120 because it has Declan’s deacci pickups in it (which are beasts, see DryZ Crushers thread) and not the DiMarzio PAFs.

If anyone has one of the LS100S models and an LS100, LS120 or LC100/110 with the DiMarzios it would be interesting to do a side by side.

Of course the wood is different in every individual guitar. My LS80 is much less dense than this LS100S ON.

Would be interesting tho I think.

mdvineng said:
Just reading through Peter's book on the LC models. The LC60 had a 2 piece Mahogany top and the 100/110 had 1 piece Mahogany top just like the LC100S.

if anyone looks at my post from Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 PM which is currently the last post on page three of this thread, the implication is the same.
Page 5 from the 1981 catalog demonstrates this for the Mahogany version LS model via the cross section diagram.
Page 8 from the 1981 catalog demonstrates this for the 100 & 110 LC models via the cross section diagram.
No one needed a book to figure this out. :)

guitar hiro said:
mdvineng said:

if anyone looks at my post from Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 PM which is currently the last post on page three of this thread, the implication is the same.
Page 5 from the 1981 catalog demonstrates this for the Mahogany version LS model via the cross section diagram.
Page 8 from the 1981 catalog demonstrates this for the 100 & 110 LC models via the cross section diagram.

guitar hiro, can you tell me what it says on the diagram next to this picture from page 5? I don't read Japanese and not able to use google translate with photos it seems.

qndVT7C.png

Full page:

8lMBzZp.png

Thanks in advance!

Sigmania said:
guitar hiro said:
mdvineng said:

guitar hiro, can you tell me what it says on the diagram next to this picture? I don't read Japanese and not able to use google translate with photos it seems.

rpAH90w.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I don't read the Japanese language but TF member 'wulfman' does.
As I stated to member 'mdvineng' in another thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25578 the PDFs that the Tokai catalogs are in don't allow for a 'copy & paste' so, that one could put that into a translator.

But one has to be observant & to ask themselves, what is the implication of the cross section diagram demonstrating a single piece back, with a single piece top, on the LS catalog page? The implication must be that is the cross section diagram for the LS100S. It is an inferred, logical conclusion; nothing more.

The mystery could be confirmed, or it could be demolished, by someone that actually reads Japanese but that likely isn't necessary.
The fact of the matter is, it really is not a mystery at all, if we look at the evidence supplied by Tokai within the catalog cross section diagrams.

And page 8 from the 1981 catalog for reference, image for LC guitars.

D0LLtdg.png

guitar hiro said:
Sigmania said:
guitar hiro said:

guitar hiro, can you tell me what it says on the diagram next to this picture? I don't read Japanese and not able to use google translate with photos it seems.

rpAH90w.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I don't read the Japanese language but TF member 'wulfman' does.
As I stated to member 'mdvineng' in another thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25578 the PDFs that the Tokai catalogs are in don't allow for a 'copy & paste' so, that one could put that into a translator.

But one has to be observant & to ask themselves, what is the implication of the cross section diagram demonstrating a single piece back, with a single piece top, on the LS catalog page? The implication must be that is the cross section diagram for the LS100S. It is an inferred, logical conclusion; nothing more.

The mystery could be confirmed, or it could be demolished, by someone that actually reads Japanese but that likely isn't necessary.

Gotcha. I was going by the same assumption, but one thing in life I have learned is to question assumptions. I think Socrates said it best. :)

So that is why the discussion above where it was mentioned by settebello that I should look at the seam inside the pickup route and was able to see it with a guitar in hand. Before that I was thinking the whole thing might be one solid chunk of wood. And as you know, with Tokai, they were experts at matching grains and disguising joints.

Anyway, we put that one to bed. Now my question is whether not having the center seam in the top accounts for how well this guitar sustains notes, or is that just the mahogany cap, or the individual pieces of wood in my guitar? I don't know. I wish I had all of the different options in hand to do side by side comparisons. :lol:

And as for PDFs and translators, the instructions refer to using a photo. I have hi res screen captures of all of the pages now from the PDFs. I could used jpegs, but am not seeing a page now that allows you to translate using photos on Google translate. I may be missing something. If someone has a link to a page that accepts photos as in the instructional video, I would appreciate it.

From what I am seeing you can translate photos on Google translate if you have an android phone or tablet then use the app on that phone...

I have an iPhone. :x

Latest posts

Back