Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracked Pickup Mounts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Haze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermoplastics, such as vacuum formed or Injection moulded items (like Pickup surrounds) can split or crack due to impurities in the extruded sheet or pellet mixture, or even as the result of over rapid cooling during manufacture. But this would happen over a relatively short time. Under normal conditions cracking could happen as a result of ageing , after about 20 years. Moulded items are not designed to resist stress where they are not requires to do so. Stress from one or two screw holes can appear between the two, or where the material is weakest. PVC and Polypropelene typically behave like this.

(Nerd mode cancel!)
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so maybe the line i see in the middle (top) of my neck pickup ring might be nothing? I know its not a big deal to change the ring (5$) but i would hate to do it on a 40day guitar.
fewmm
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the rings crack like that is a result of the carved top on the guitar. The rings are made flat with no radius to fit the carved top. The best fix is new rings with the bottoms radiused to fit the guitar. This has happened to every one of my gibsons! Hope this helps..
TokaiLover
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fewmm wrote:
The reason the rings crack like that is a result of the carved top on the guitar. The rings are made flat with no radius to fit the carved top. The best fix is new rings with the bottoms radiused to fit the guitar. This has happened to every one of my gibsons! Hope this helps..

i never understood why manufacturers dont make surrounds that are radiused to fit the guitar... it would save things like what this guy is experiencing with his new guitar... i cant say that i have experienced anything like this on any of the les pauls that i have owned though...
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fewmm wrote:

Thanks for all of your replies Guys & Gals - most helpful
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

If my neck ring finally cracks , i ll radius my next one
ArthurS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fewmm wrote:
The reason the rings crack like that is a result of the carved top on the guitar. The rings are made flat with no radius to fit the carved top. The best fix is new rings with the bottoms radiused to fit the guitar. This has happened to every one of my gibsons! Hope this helps.

This is correct. Same thing happened on my 03 LS80... twice. Because of the Tokai top carve (which is 'historically correct') I'm not sure if it's a good idea to replace them with radiused rings, though; the carve in the rings will most likely be too strong fro the relatively flat top carve (so you'll have a space between the ring and top).

That's why I personally prefer to use the original flat rings. A trick to help them stop breaking is to not fully screw them down when you first mount them. Mount them so that they are mostly 'flat' at first, give it a week or two, then screw them down entirely so they arch with the top. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but it doesn't hurt for sure.

By the way: if you buy replacements, make sure you get 'tall' pickup rings as used on Gibson Historics. The ones used on Gibson USA are not as tall, and the pickup will rise quite a bit above the ring. If I remember correctly, this is due to the different neck angle and top carve on Standards (Tokais are closer to Historics spec-wise).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArthurS wrote:
fewmm wrote:
The reason the rings crack like that is a result of the carved top on the guitar. The rings are made flat with no radius to fit the carved top. The best fix is new rings with the bottoms radiused to fit the guitar. This has happened to every one of my gibsons! Hope this helps.

This is correct. Same thing happened on my 03 LS80... twice. Because of the Tokai top carve (which is 'historically correct') I'm not sure if it's a good idea to replace them with radiused rings, though; the carve in the rings will most likely be too strong fro the relatively flat top carve (so you'll have a space between the ring and top).

That's why I personally prefer to use the original flat rings. A trick to help them stop breaking is to not fully screw them down when you first mount them. Mount them so that they are mostly 'flat' at first, give it a week or two, then screw them down entirely so they arch with the top. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but it doesn't hurt for sure.

By the way: if you buy replacements, make sure you get 'tall' pickup rings as used on Gibson Historics. The ones used on Gibson USA are not as tall, and the pickup will rise quite a bit above the ring. If I remember correctly, this is due to the different neck angle and top carve on Standards (Tokais are closer to Historics spec-wise).

Aha, so this is why most non-custom shop Gibsons have the pickups protruding from the rings so much in comparison to the Tokais...

BTW i think if you are familiar, it is best to buy flat rings and carve them to fit the body on your own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: