Tokai TGC identification

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey_like_guitar

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an opportunity to buy a Tokai LP, but I am unable to find any information about the guitar.
Has anyone seen or have one of these?
Are they similar to the ALS or ALC models or is it a "custom" version of one of these models?
The seller is on vacation right now and I will not be able to contact them for a week or two.
Lastly, does anyone know what would be a reasonable price for this guitar?
It is listed as NOS, unused.

Here is what the listing says:
Brand model : TOKAI TGC (Tokai Guitar Custom)
Wood configuration : mahogany body, maple neck, Bolivian rosewood fingerboard
Other remarks : stock, unused
Hardware configuration : original factory configuration

The serial number starts CN15 so I am assuming it was made in China in 2015. Yes?
Thanks for any insight you can offer me.

amoETOr.jpg

0YGVZMT.jpg

XP2xCvS.jpg

lzTq5ZO.jpg

T30RXNA.jpg

SgGDxpI.jpg

Thank you for this information.
The seller wants 185usd for the guitar.
Do you think that is a reasonable price for this guitar?
I am clueless as to the value of this instrument.

marcusnieman said:
TGC probably means Tokai Gakki Co., Ltd., often referred as Tokai Guitars Company Ltd.,

Yes, made in China

Seems like a great price to me..... even these lower end Chinese builds are quite good for what you get..... you'll probably want to swap out the pickups, and electronics but at a "throw away guitar" price like that, I'd take a chance - certainly against anything that Epiphone has to offer for much more money.

Thank you very much for your reply.
This is exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted some confirmation from someone with more Tokai experience than me.
Cheers!

marcusnieman said:
Seems like a great price to me..... even these lower end Chinese builds are quite good for what you get..... you'll probably want to swap out the pickups, and electronics but at a "throw away guitar" price like that, I'd take a chance - certainly against anything that Epiphone has to offer for much more money.

I've been seeing these "TGC" inlayed guitars popping up a lot lately.
They are 100% Chinese but unsure as to whether they are 100% Tokai.
Will contact Tokai and find out if this is a thing or not :)

Right on. This one is being sold in China. It is on Taobao. I live in Shanghai.
The store is also selling other Tokai and some Dillion guitars too.
You might be on the something here.
The store is selling a few Tokai Firebird style guitars, but the scratchguard doesn't have the red bird on them.
Perhaps these are parts taken from a closed factory (or the still operating Chinese factory) or they are production rejects that are being taken out of the factory by employees and being sold on Taobao.
Many of the Tokai guitars for sale on the store are dated to 2015 and have a serial number that starts C15XXXXXX.

Ozeguitarguy said:
I've been seeing these "TGC" inlayed guitars popping up a lot lately.
They are 100% Chinese but unsure as to whether they are 100% Tokai.
Will contact Tokai and find out if this is a thing or not :)

I’m thinking this guitar may be an anniversary guitar for Tokai in China.

2005-2015

TGC = Tokai Guitars China ?

Looks like a legit CN serial number that was the scheme for at least one factory making Tokais in China from 2012 to the present.

Here’s the Tokai Japan anniversary Love Rock:

30th Anniversary LS1000 Love Rocks

Last edited:
Back