I have been sitting on an ES100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
...which I have had for around three years. Its an ES-100 which I think is from 2001 (?)... My post is a pickups question...

Basically after playing this alongside my others and a variety of different humbucker guitars, this sounds dull. It sound muffled in the top end and muddy in the bass end on both neck and bridge (neck sounds the worst), but I have to say the neck is a superb 59 style LP similar, slightly slimmer at the nut than the Reborn's, but with a generous C, which I am realising is not so easy to find.

Not wanting to throw money after bad, I am slightly worried about spending £300+ on new pickups if the guitar is going to make little improvement.

Can I ask anyone who has changed pickups in their ES range what the differences were when they installed new ones, what pickups would you recommend here in the UK for an ES range guitar? Can I make this guitar lively?

I did so, currently have an Antiquity set and a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage before. I usually swap pickups in my Tokais I feel it is worth.
You can check for an used Seth Lovers set for a vintage vibe sound.

How old are the strings? I've perked up the sound on many a guitar for friends by fitting a new set. Time isn't their best friend.

How does it compare to your other guitars when you play them "dry" w/o amp (with new strings of course)? Does it lack life and treble too?

If not, what DC resistance do the PUs have? If they're >8 kOhms that may contribute to the problem. Semihollows often benefit from low output PAFs , maybe even going a step further with Alnico 2 magnets, next step would be Amber P94 SC in HB format.

luis said:
I did so, currently have an Antiquity set and a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage before. I usually swap pickups in my Tokais I feel it is worth.
You can check for an used Seth Lovers set for a vintage vibe sound.

That's good to know. I have not heard of the Wolfetone pickups, I will take a look

mdvineng said:
How old are the strings? I've perked up the sound on many a guitar for friends by fitting a new set. Time isn't their best friend.

I appreciate the point, its nothing to do with string age

Homer J. Simpson said:
How does it compare to your other guitars when you play them "dry" w/o amp (with new strings of course)? Does it lack life and treble too?

If not, what DC resistance do the PUs have? If they're >8 kOhms that may contribute to the problem. Semihollows often benefit from low output PAFs , maybe even going a step further with Alnico 2 magnets, next step would be Amber P94 SC in HB format.

It doesn't sound any worse than any other guitar unplugged, just different as its a hollow body.
I have put the pictures of the original pickups, I cant tell what they are other than stock Tokai's.
Interesting point about going lower rather than higher output.

On the subject of ES guitars, does this one have a ser number of the headstock and made in Japan of the top of the neck?
Cheers
Jock

8bit Barry said:
Homer J. Simpson said:

It doesn't sound any worse than any other guitar unplugged, just different as its a hollow body.
I have put the pictures of the original pickups, I cant tell what they are other than stock Tokai's.
Interesting point about going lower rather than higher output.
Those are early 2000's Gotoh pickups, try adjusting the pole pieces and pu heights.

For what it's worth, the 1981 first issue ES100's came with two pickup choices. The ES100J(azz) had lower output p'ups and the ES100R(ock) had hotter, higher output.

Back