Springy Sound under the hood Question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzyjeff

Reaction score
Dear experts,

I’m looking at a Black (BB) Springy Sound with fender style headstock and spaghetti logo and rosewood fretboard. It is said by the seller to be a ST 100. All looks like an original early 80s. Kluson Style Tuner and Tokai saddles all nickel though. However the inside made me curious as I’ve never seen this before. Barcode sticker with ST313 written on. And sticker on pickups saying Tokai N and M what probably stands for Neck and Middle.

Also no serial number on the necks plates. Few very hard to read numbers in the neck pocket. Also a handwritten BB in the neck pocket. Neck heel is stamped with T6-10 and Body is stamped with T6-170.

Will upload picture once I’ve figured out how. Still new to this.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks felixcatus for the reply.

can you tell me a bit more about the "special order" or point me to a thread.

Did they also come with original headstock and spaghetti logo? This is where I get confused.

This is a picture of the headstock:

Thanks!

Haven't seen it in person yet. Heres another pic from the neck bucket.

Maybe this tells something more.

Is is common that there is no serial number in the neck plate? If so where else would you look?

Thanks

Jazzyjeff said:
Thanks felixcatus for the reply.

can you tell me a bit more about the "special order" or point me to a thread.

Did they also come with original headstock and spaghetti logo? This is where I get confused.

Thanks!

Pretty sure TOGPS had some new 'Springy logo' ST100-57.. etc. made around 2010 or later? He does these very cool 'special runs' from time to time. But not so sure they came with 'vintage headstock' or the 'modified headstock'?

I have one like this but in Black. It's not vintage. Tokai told me when i emailed them from what period it should be from though. You can always email them. I guess it's a '65 clone ?? Mine only had the Made In Japan and no serial number. Mine does say Goldstar though so different run.

T4veECM.png

Thanks brokentoes.

So there is some more evidence this is a “re issue”.

Does your Black Goldstar come with the fender style headstock or the modified one?

I might email the folks at Tokai too.

It's the modified one. Not Fender style. Tokai told me that mine was made by them in their Factory in Japan but i guess because of the no serial they couldn't give me an exact year. Somewhere between a 15 year period guess. I just wanted to know if it was genuine really. Yours has very similar markings in the neck pocket so i thought i'd chime in.

@brokentoes thanks for bringing it up. the neck marks really look similar.

What really confuses me is in deed the original fender style headstock with the 7okai logo. that just doesn't match up with everything I was able to find out so far. I've emailed Tokai to we will see. In the meantime if anyone else has an opinion I'm happy to collect all the knowledge.

Cheers

It's possible that someone replaced the headstock decal as 7okai decals are to be found on ebay

If the radius is vintage 7.25 then usually the Fender style headstock is used i thought. Modern radius gets modern headstock. I could be way off there though. Its just an assumption.

Nice looking guitar, but it IS NOT a SpringySound made between 1977 and 1982.

Electronics are modern and this kind of stamping never appeared on early Springys.
I would go re-issue also.

regards
Peter

In the meantime I’ve found out this particular piece was apparently sourced thru the German distributor in 2014.

So with all your Feedback i think we can go for a 2010 or so re issue. The only open point will be the logo and the headstock. You never know...

Aha, Brazenpicker,

the reason for that is you did not get my book :D

Tokai released an ST-70 model in 1981 where BOTH fingerboards were veneer - Rosewood = 1962 slab ; Maple = 1967 veneer.
In nearly 35 years, I have only seen 4 real examples of ST-70 R, all were YS finish and serial numbers were in a 200 number range.
To date, I have never played one but I would think it similar to the TST-62 American model of the early 80s.

regards
Peter

I have one like this but in Black. It's not vintage. Tokai told me when i emailed them from what period it should be from though. You can always email them. I guess it's a '65 clone ?? Mine only had the Made In Japan and no serial number. Mine does say Goldstar though so different run.

Latest posts

Back