Got a Silver Star : Sometimes the Stars Align

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chum

Reaction score
Hi to all!
I found this Silver Star for sale 3 days ago, and I was lucky to get it at a low price. The guitar has a few issues, primarily with the logo, which has been damaged. the "7okai" and the word "Star" are visible, and the serial number is intact, but the word "Silver" has been obliterated.
Here are a few pics:
20190912_135359-01_zpsq1hxviw4.jpeg
[/URL]

[/img]

Here are the body stampings:

[/img]

I am unsure if the electronics are still original. Here are some shots of the switch, pots and pickups:
[/img]

I hope someone can let me know if the electronics are original. The switch is a 3 way, but it feels a bit flimsy. I also am having trouble taking the switch tip off, as someone seems to have super glued it. Any ideas?

Anyhow, I do love the feel of the neck on this one, a very comfy V shape =)

Thanks for looking!

A few questions that I have for my Silver Star:
1. Are the pickups, pots and switch original? I am not so sure because the pickups have no stamping on them. Also not so sure if the pots are original. The few photos I have seen here are of the "U" series (gray bottoms), also mentioned are the "V" stamped ones and of course the "E" series.
2. Would this guitar benefit from a re-logo, I mean, should I have a replacement logo made and installed? Or should I just leave it as is? I am concerned that what is left of the logo will crumble as I use the guitar
3. Based on the serial number, what would the probable date of manufacture be?
Thanks, hope some of you can chime in =)

Hi, all original pups etc circa 81.As to the logo, only you can decide whether to put another decal on, if you keep it as it is, just put some laquer ver the area to protect it.

mdvineng said:
Hi, all original pups etc circa 81.As to the logo, only you can decide whether to put another decal on, if you keep it as it is, just put some laquer ver the area to protect it.

Many thanks for the info! I will be keeping this stock, unless I find a set of "U" or "E" series pickups =)
I'm having a lot of fun setting this guitar up. I carved a new bone nut for it and I'm now levelling & polishing the frets.

Hi

This looks very original except for the electrics.
Pickups, pots and selector have been changed, brass grounding plate [P# S-155] is missing.
By 1982 - which the serial number indicates - the pickups are grey backed with the letter 'H' on them, not 'U' or 'E'.
Wiring is Blue/Black, as per the ones installed.
I also have an SS-38 in Black from 1982 (S/N 2027109) with matching neck/body codes, so it does happen.

regards
Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the info!

I was not aware that Silver Stars also had the brass grounding plate. Very Interesting. Would you have a pic of what the original electronics looked like? I tried the search function but I didn't find any.

[img

[/img]

My progress so far... Bone Nut to replace the old one, and fret levelling and polishing. I changed the pickup covers, and I used some toothpaste to remove/polish out the scratches on the pickguard =)

Finally got to finish my set up.
Here are a few pics:
[Img
/img]
I may have to do a pickup swap/upgrade later, but for now, I like how it turned out =)

[img
/img]

Upgrade time for my Silver Star. I was able to find a set of U series pickups from my old Springy Sound that I thought I had sold off (the Springy now has "E" Series pickups), so these are going into my Silver Star. From what I have read here, the U series are supposed to be a tad hotter than the E series, would that be correct? I'm also wondering how the "H" series would compare to the "U". I'll be doing a little testing this weekend =)

Back