African Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany or Mahogany

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a custom made Tokai Love Rock.

I have ordered a few custom made Tokai Guitars before. I wanted this one in Honduras Mahogany, Tokai also said they have African Mahogany for about $400 more.

I know Honduras Mahogany is used on many of the higher end Tokai Love Rocks 320 and so on. Even the 520s are Honduras

http://www.tokaiguitars.co.za/premiumseries.htm

Anyone have any info about the African Mahogany?

I am planning on getting a gold top Custom (as in binding, mahogany top and mother of pearl Custom, but yes also custom made) Love Rock. So the wood will not show on the top but will on the back and neck.

8) tokai usually has 2 kinds of mahogany and they usually use the african mahogany for the standard models and usually use the honduran mahogany for the premium models. it seems strange that they charge $400 more for the african mahogany. it makes sense if they charge $400 less for the african mahogany or $400 more for the honduran mahogany. you might wanna email tokai for the sure answer. good mahogany luck!

Yeah, that is weird. This is what Tokai emailed me yesterday

"+ Your specifications (SEB African Mahogany) US$2,500.00

+ Your specifications (SEB Honduras Mahogany) US2,100.00"

I wonder if they wrote it backwards by mistake?

I agree with HAMAMATSU; the info seems a bit backward since Honduran is typically more co$tly than African.

I would recommend asking Tokai if you could see photos of the body blank lumber & also obtain correct/accurate weights for them.

This could help you to pick a lighter, or heavier body & also if you have a preference for flat sawn/rift sawn/quarter sawn.

Then of course, with the SEB construction, none of that may matter.

Just an idea since you would be paying a premium for a custom order.

Good luck :D

HI GUYS,

Keep in mind that Honduran isn't really "Honduran". Yes, it may be grown in Honduras but it is not the Old Growth wood used used by Gibson in the 50s and 60's....and even then it is still American Mahogany [Swietenia macrophylla], hell, Gibson now grow their American Mahogany in Fiji.
African Mahogany is from a different but related Genus [Khaya ssp] and seeing the regions in which it is grown( most of which are in civil war) it could be the extra costs are paying warlords to get it out of the country - just kidding, but you get my drift.
This could be a case where the better product is cheaper because of circumstances of availability.
1950's bodies were generally flat sawn mahogany if this helps.
Just a thought....

Peter

Thanks guys for the info.

I will go with the Honduran wood. Though I will not be ordering the guitar for a few months. I have some other things I need to order first.

Thanks again.

About 1980s high class Tokai.
I guess those model did not use Honduran mahogany and Brazilian rosewood.
Because Mahogany of Honduras was not distributed in Japan at that time and major manufacturers did not handle it. Therefore, Tokai used Mahogany from Africa or other Country's one, which is close to Mahogany from Honduras. In fact, the actual LS 150 and LS 200 do not seem to be Honduran mahogany. The conduits are clearly different.Sat

Back