Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

81 Breezysound bridge replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
81breezy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: 81 Breezysound bridge replacement Reply with quote

I'd like to replace the 6 saddle bridge on my 81 Breezysound with a 3 saddle compensated brass one. I'm thinking Wilkinson or Joe Barden. Has anyone got a recommendation? Also any advice re screw spacings. I've read that some bridges don't have the same spacings.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep you eyes open for a tokai one on ebay, or post a wanted ad in the for-sale section.
81breezy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobtastik might still have one.

See here http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9987
81breezy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently trying to find specs for the Joe Barden. If that doesn't work out I'll follow up your suggestion. Thanks again.

Ps The Wilkinson bridge screw spacings appear to be slightly narrow for a clean replacement.
duosonic
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw holes don't line up prefectly, between a stock Tokai 6-saddle and stock Tokai 3-saddle bridge (from the '80s).

I don't know about other brands, but the difference was enough that I didn't replace the 6-saddle on my '81 Breezy... I didn't want to fill original and then drill new holes...

Tim
81breezy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there was a change in the mid 80s from imperial to metric measurements. Consequently the spacings changed.
If I have to mess with the screw holes I'll probably leave the current bridge on too.
If anyone can tell me where I can find the specs for the Joe Barden bridgeplate, it would be greatly appreciated.
rgrafend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 81breezy!

The older Mighty-mites are a good choice if you like a very soft brass sound, they have slightly more volume (and size, so you have to put something beneath the neck). Just difficult to get hold of them nowadays.

The newer Stewmacs are better IMHO.

Platewise I've tried Wilkinson, Rockinger, Mighty-mite and of course Tokai and Fender. I went back to Tokai on my player. Please do not forget that the saddles do not live on their own!

If you like/love the tele sound I'd really recommend to change the pups (altough an 81 should have CARs) to Nocasters or SDs.

Test and try!

Cheers. Rup
rgrafend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot about the spacing thingy. I thought this was discussed inside out already. Of course there was a change, happened 1983/84 for Breezys.

Happened for some LSs in 1981.

Rup
ilicheno
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridge replacement functionalities are very important for their operators and use of latest technology can bring comfort for them. Instead waste of time in thoughts do my homework assignment for writing of your mistake free work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: