Have I just bought a fake breezysound? - no serial number...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76pete76

Reaction score
Hey Folks

This is my first post and predictably I'm asking for help... I've just won a Japanese Breezysound on eBay. Ive not paid yet as I'm getting wobbly that it could be fake, or at least not Japanese as claimed.

No serial number anywhere.
'Made in Japan' is apparently stamped on the heel of the neck.
Non-lawsuit headstock. With script font.
Tuners appear to be the ribbed Gotoh Kluson style.
Made in Japan is stamped on the pots too.
No visible Tokai markings on the bridge.

I've read some Tokais were produced without serial numbers, but I'm guessing these were also the easiest to copy!

I'd be very grateful of anyones opinions on all this.

I'll try to attach photos here from photobucket:

[/img]

The neck and tuners look like legit 1985, the guard and bridge/saddles are not original, the body looks right but without cavity pics not much more can be said.

Thank JEM that's a start at least. I can post any internal pics until I have it, but then it's too late I guess..

Looking from the front it seems like the body is squared off at the jack input. Is this normal for a breezy or should the curve of the body continue?

Thanks again

The catalogs can be found here;

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html#1985Cat

The neck is legit but, I don't think I've seen a Tokai body in that color double bound so if I had to guess I'd think the body might not be legit but hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable members will chime in.

84 TTE looks like a good match to me.
having looked again, an 85 ATE52 is an even better fit :p

Thanks mdvinemd that's great news if it is. Think I'm getting the tokai bug before I've got my first one (with the exception of a jazz bass I've had for years)

they are great guitars underestimated for years, as are the Epiphone Elites that are also made in Japan by Fujigen.

mdvineng said:
as are the Epiphone Elites that are also made in Japan by Fujigen.

Just bought a 2002/2003 Elite SG with the correct Gibson head stock. Gotta say, I'm pretty thrilled with it.

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread... carry on.

I take it you don't think I need to be concerned by the lack of a serial number?

And I'll have a look at those epiphones next time, they sound very interesting too.

Cheers for all the help so far :)

76pete76 said:
I take it you don't think I need to be concerned by the lack of a serial number?

And I'll have a look at those epiphones next time, they sound very interesting too.

Cheers for all the help so far :)

some Tokai's never had serial numbers for some reason.

judge a guitar by how it feels and how it sounds and never by the label, unless you are a collector looking for an investment, or you will miss a lot of sweet guitars.

marcusnieman said:
mdvineng said:
as are the Epiphone Elites that are also made in Japan by Fujigen.

Just bought a 2002/2003 Elite SG with the correct Gibson head stock. Gotta say, I'm pretty thrilled with it.

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread... carry on.

here's my pair before cleaning and setup
DSC-0320.jpg

20150319-175646.jpg

Serial number was on the neck plate in '84-'85, has it also been changed... still not sure about the body, need to see the cavities to be sure.

Sorry not sure how to tag people here...

JEM I hear ya. Not actually had a photo of the neck plate yet but I'm sure the seller would have mentioned it of it were numbered...
I am holding out hope that based on the rust pitting on the machine heads the rest of the metal work was in a similar state, so a previous owner might have changed the easier bits like bridge and neck plate but left the more fiddly machine heads....that's what im trying to tell myself anyway.

md thems a nice looking pair of axes, should clean up lovely.

As I mentioned I might be getting the bug Ive just bought another! Another (hopefully) japanese SG 3pup. Again not got my hands on it yet as im on holiday...

_86_zpsrlc0ftye.jpg
[/URL]

OK so regarding the SG it does seem to look very similar to the Chinese custom 3 pups out there. Only thing giving a glimmer of hope is the serial number he has given me is 090253 (although the seller hasn't supplied a photo of serial number I trust the guy believes this is a genuine Japanese model he is selling)

I have been through the registry and the only other 6 digit serial numbered SG's are listed as Japanese (064470 and 081038).

Was there any known period when a 3 screw TRC was used on MIJ models?

Failing all this and it is conclusively MIC / MIK.... I have only paid a £50 deposit and the sale price is £200 is it still worth getting at that price? I could ask for my deposit back as it was sold on the understanding it was Japanese, although its a private sale so I would be relying on good will to return the.

I have a very small guitar collection and there is a hole where an SG should be so I am tempted, but likewise space is at a premium in our small terraced house so her who shalt not be named will need a pretty good excuse each time I introduce a new bit of kit....

What would y'all do?

no MIJ had 3 screws and £200 isn't much. check utube for reviews of some of the tokai Chinese versions, opinion seems to be on the good side and not the avoid side. expect some setup and minor finish issues that are easily sorted.

Latest posts

Back