WHAT Is the MODEL Name for This Bacchus Stratocaster?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Bacchus Vintage Series Strat that is a replica of the SRV 'Charley' guitar but there is no warranty card.

Considering the serial number on the example I purchased I'm guessing it is from circa 2004.

I contacted Deviser Corp. and they do not know the actual model name.

I scoured the Bacchus section here at the Tokai Forum to find the info but found nothing.

Looking for anyone that has a matching warranty card for this Bacchus model with the model name stamped on the card.

Here is a link to one example (not the one I purchased) of the guitar in question.
https://www.jitashe.org/tbitem/fcfcebbgeefg/

I know it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack :lol: but thanks for any help 8)

I PMed TF member 'sneakyjapan' because I located a post in which he stated he had a Bacchus 'Charley' Strat.

Bad thing is, sneaky has not posted here in over four years.

After some (more) digging I did find this :)

sneakyjapan said:
I knew they didn`t use their own p`ups exclusively because my bacchus SRV Charly copy has Crews lipsticks in it.
I`m gonna search the Japanese web and see what comes up for Yuta.

marcusnieman said:
That's a rare one..... I've only seen pics of them before.

I do have the Fender Japan version of it though.

When I have time available I have been doing a lot of digging for info on the Bacchus 'Charley' Strat on the WWW.

I came across this post from another forum; dated from 10-11-2005, from a member 'sneaky.' Next to the bottom post in the chain.
https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21913-new-Stratocaster-CIJ
"I have an MIJ Charley copy too but mine is made by Bacchus and guess what...they only made 12."

That has to be the same person as our TF member 'sneakyjapan.'

If there were only 12 examples produced (who knows) then I can imagine locating a warranty card with the actual model name stamped on the card would be nearly impossible.

I have seen the guitar referred to as BST-SRV Charley from two different online sources but that is not definitive IMO.

Yes I'm pretty sure that's our Sneakyjapan .....

Good luck on the hunt for info.... if they only made 12, that's very nice catch.

The Bacchus is still in Tokyo but will be shipping some time within the next two weeks.

I thought the photos of the fingerboard look like Madagascar rosewood but the more I look at the photos the more I see similarities in the fingerboard lumber like my 2004 Momose MLS-STD/J (Jacaranda).

I think this Charley Strat might have a Brazilian fingerboard. :)

Both guitars are from the same time frame & same production facility.

brokentoes said:
I'm liking where this thread is going.

pretty lame thread IMO

locating a warranty card for this model (which is the reason for the thread) will likely never happen.

I knew previously the example I purchased do not have the warranty card.

from my experience with Vintage Series examples, which this model is no doubt from the era, only about 10% to 15% of examples I have had in my hands have come with a warranty card.

If the claim by 'sneaky' from the other forum is correct that only 12 examples of this model were produced, then by odds from my experience there may be 1 warranty card, maybe 2 at the most for the examples that have yet to be either lost, or tossed in a garbage can.

Certainly not holding my breath for someone to pull one from a magic hat. :lol:

Once you have the guitar perhaps you could send pictures to Bacchus/Deviser and request a warranty card. Who knows ??

I'm more interested in your NGD pics. Since our dollar tanked and Cites came in to play there hasn't been anything for me. Now i have to live vicariously through the rest of you.

I sent photos from the YJ listing to Deviser; Taku Kitahara replied that no one at Deviser knew what the actual model name is.

Taku said that it (might be) BSR-LIPSTICK PSW (Pearl Snow White) but there was no certainty & it sounded like a guess, IMO.

The YJ listing stated BST-LIPSTICK.

I have seen two other web sites stating the model as BST-SRV Charley.

None of the above four model names have been backed up with a warranty card as far as I know.

As a side note:
The original Bacchus SRV #1 copy, which has a heavily reliced finish, was initially the BSR-98, and the MSRP was 98,000 yen.
I had one of these with serial number 0014**.
It had CST pots dated to 1994 but I don't know if the pots were original.
The solder looked untouched so, I assume the pots were original.
Pickups were the great sounding Alnico Specials, with flat top poles.

The follow up SRV #1 model was the BST-SRV with a MSRP of 123,900 yen.
This model can be seen on page 17 of the June, 2004 Deviser catalog.
This model had NOBLE pots.
Pickups were the YUTA-VS-2, with beveled top poles.

You gotta love how Deviser/Bacchus throws the **** curve balls. :lol:

the Bacchus 'Charley' arrived today :) it took forever for the US customs & the USPS to get their sh!t together & make this happen.
But there was no issue with Customs, no CITES issues, so it must be a Christmas back log.

Anywho, the Bacchus was shipped with the neck detached to save on shipping costs.
I immediately looked to see if there were any identifying marks on the body, or the neck.
Some Bacchus Vintage Series era Strats have the model number penciled on the neck route but not this one. :cry:
I removed the pick guard to check & again, no luck with ID.
Everything looks stock/original with virgin solder. 8)
The (two) pots are coded 0039, which I assume is the 39th week of 2000.
The frets measure .094 x .056, which is the exact same fret size as my 2004 Bacchus BLS-54.
The fingerboard lumber looks like it was cut from the exact same board as my 2004 Momose MLS-STD/J (Jacaranda) aka Brazilian.
I have no doubt this Bacchus 'Charley' does indeed have a Brazilian finger board. :D

As far as the actual model name:

I will likely never know what the model name really is but I was looking at my last post, in which I mentioned the second Bacchus incarnation of their SRV #1 copy.
That model is the BST-SRV & it is from the very same time period as this 'Charley' example.
So, I have a theory: This 'Charley' example is most likely a BST-SRV Charley.
I have seen examples listed twice as such & it makes complete sense.

OK, now go out and have some Christmas cheer :lol: and I will pour me a couple, or three too.

I was digging through some archived materials today & I noticed the BTL-TH/Spalted Limited, listed on page 10 of the June, 2004 Deviser catalog.

The BTL-TH example that I have in my archives is serial number 124***.
Considering Bacchus made several limited runs of guitars & in small batches, some even limited to 12 to 20 examples, I could easily postulate the BTL-TH example in my archives is in fact a 2004 example.
Also, it could be fair to assume all BTL-TH examples were most likely all 2004 manufacture.

Considering my Charley Strat has a 123*** serial number I believe my opinion for a manufacture time frame (in the OP) was pretty much spot on. :)

I learned something today: Always hang on to your archived materials & keep the data backed up too. 8)

Now, all I need is to locate a warranty card with the actual model name. :lol:

found this post in another Bacchus thread.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17815&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

sneakyjapan said:
marcusnieman said:
le juge said:
Are you sure that actually Ishibashi is still selling U-Box items to overseas customers ? Not sure !

Yeah they do.... I bought my MIJ Fender SRV Charley's strat from them via U-Box

had my Muddy Waters tele out for pics last week and looked at the copies of e-mails I traded with Yoshi Toda in 2001 about some Bacchus guitars I had at that time...I was curious about the limited editions they made. According to him, the Charly...AKA...the BSR-LS was a run of only 12...you have one, I have one so there are only 10 more out there somewhere.
He also told me about the Muddy tele...AKA...MOJO...limited to 15 guitars, and the SRV #1 strat...AKA...BSR-98 was limited to 20 pieces...that was the first run I.D.`d by the brass bridge block...the later versions did not have a brass block...I have the later catalog showing the reissued SRV model...the original one page flyer showing the SRV and a clone of Blackie, among others, was dated 1998.
In the 2001 mail he told me they would not be making them any more and that they were changing their catalog...I remember when that happened and thats the time they tried to concentrate on their own designs which I guess didn`t sell as well as they`d hoped because they went back to cloning the US big two a couple of years later...but they have kept the altered headstock shape they use today on some models...a pointier tip at the end instead of the rounded F/USA shape.
I kept all the mails because I thought they might come in handy one day down the road. May be of interest to you though possibly not to other members.

So, it looks like this Bacchus Charley could be the BSR-LS (lip stick) :D

Latest posts

Back