Is this a LS320?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aroomstudios said:
Thanks, guitar hiro. Is there one year that was better for some reason or are they all about the same. I know you said a few years earlier than 2002 for the ls200 (though you were talking about a good 320). Was that the golden years or something? Reason is I will see Shohei Adachi next month at the 2019 NAMM Anaheim show. I have order a few new old stock item from Tokai before. A 2012 P/musicman Tokai bass that I ordered in 2018. Then a guitar I am in the works of ordering from him. This guitar was discontinued 5 or 10 years ago but they have the older bodys still at the factory. So, they can custom make it to my specs for me. I am just wondering if this could be something that could work. Though it might be easier and cheaper to just find a good 1997 or so used LS 320 around.

If I were in the market to acquire a LS-320 I would be looking for one from the original time frame of manufacture (1996/1997) up through the 2003/2004 examples; why?
You might as well have FEB if you are going for a 320; right?
Does FEB make a 320 'better?' Maybe not but why have a 320 without FEB? :lol:

Since you have ordered from Tokai before then you should be able to request just about anything you desire from Tokai; all it takes is money.
That's my opinion & that may be your best option.

dennisqle91 said:
So is the LS-320 superior to the later equivalents, e.g., LS-420, 470, etc... ? Do you have any impressions of the high end HLS models like HLS-420, HLS-MAX?

For me personally my 2000 LS-320 is all the Tokai 'Les Paul' I will ever need.
I have never changed a thing on this guitar, never been drilled for a pick guard, and I rarely play it.
When I do play it, it reminds me of how much of a special guitar it really is.
I would choose it over any 'vintage' Tokai I have ever had in my hands.
That is just personal preference; nothing else.
I am not that familiar with the higher grade/post LS-320 offerings from Tokai.

villager said:
thats a lovely 320 just a shame they dropped the fret binding in the later 2005 models.. otherwise i would go for that.. for me 320 has to be 97-2004 with fret binding, I am also not a fan of the wierd inlays they used on some of them..here is a 2003 I currently have for sale..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146163744@N08/sets/72157689319256300

I purchased my 320 over a decade ago & I used to hate the 'amber cell' inlays.
I eventually grew to like them, as they offer the guitar an attribute that adds to the over all unique character of the guitar.
My 320 is a one of a kind within the context of my small collection of 'Les Paul' types. 8)

villager said:
second to none my arse... I have better flame maple on at least 20 guitars on my studio wall!!!

I am certainly no fan of the top on that LS-200 but I have seen many maple billets that look exactly like that top that have been graded 4AAAA.

Just sayin' :wink:

I just mentally filtered that part out as salesman hyperbole. Flame grading is pretty subjective. Personally I love very straight, thin lines but looking at this thread I see I'm in the minority!

aroomstudios said:
w9dy4n.jpg

339j89d.jpg

Came back to this thread as I was searching for something else but then I thought, 'oh sh!t' ....... those pickups. :lol:

the green lead for the neck pup, the yellow lead for the bridge pup, and the under neath of that neck pickup, ALL Lead me to believe those are NOT original pickups.

I notice that the seller does NOT mention a thing about the pickups in his listing.
https://reverb.com/item/12070201-gorgeous-2002-tokai-love-rock-ls-200-in-cherry-burst-with-original-hardshell-case

'the devil is in the details' :wink:

Good point. It would be braided wire right? I have a very strong feeling this seller does this with a lot of their guitars. Stretches the truth a lot. Look at their yelp reviews.

These are pickups used in Chinese made Tokais.
BTW, I've doubt that the guitar is a LS200.
Should feature a long tenon. Also I can't see from these pics a solid top.
Looks rather for veneer top

anything that I have previously stated within the thread that could be construed as being positive in regard to the guitar, or the seller listing the guitar, please disregard.

This seller is obviously either (1) ignorant (2) an idiot (3) a con man (4) all of the above.

The seller's listing (in it's multiple incarnations), the continued inconsistencies, and the seller's obvious disregard for truth are all great reasons to NEVER, EVER consider a purchase from such a moron.

There; finally some real truth. :p

The routing looks not quite square enough either, maybe it's just the angle. Good eye on the pickups.

Have to give a Bobby Orr on this guy.

Back