80 LS-120 Les Paul Reborn Question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_JDZ

Reaction score
Picked up a very nice '80 LS-120 Les Paul Reborn, that looks to be all original, but there is one thing I've not seen before and was hoping for some insight.

Pickups are DiMarzio's, but have covers installed that are windowed so all pole pieces exposed. Circuit board looks original and untouched.
I think pickups are original to the guitar, but haven't seen an example with these covers. Could they have been added or original?

Thanks in advance.
John

A few things:

The covers aren't soldered on.
There is very similar yellowing of the bobbins and pickup rings
I have never seen covers like that before installed as factory on Tokais

I think they are aftermarket, added by a previous owner but at a very early stage in the guitars life and have been kept in place.

What do the solder joints on the pots/PCB look like?

A bit dark, but here you go

46248334941_51ca7988f0_b.jpg

46248335941_64586c37c7_b.jpg

46248337361_7c4ab0b3cb_b.jpg

31309185727_d1b196d6ef_b.jpg
[/url]

Beauty!

I have an old Dimarzio double cream dual sound that had some odd uneven stains on it. I used some very fine grit sand paper on it and it worked pretty good. I hated to loose some of the natural aged patina but I wanted the color to look even.

That might even out the tan lines if they bother you.

Very sound advice!

I wonder what the going rate is for used DiMarzio thorgs?
Matching pair, at that!

I strongly advise against sandpaper anywhere near open pickups.... If you get any particulate matter in there it could turn them microphonic and give you real feedback issues.

Back