Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY Do Tokai & Tokai Sellers List Jacaranda as Brazilian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: WHY Do Tokai & Tokai Sellers List Jacaranda as Brazilian Reply with quote

For a very long time I have wondered WHY do many Japanese guitar makers list Jacaranda as Brazilian (rosewood)?

So, the recent History/LS-320 thread got me wondering anew, why do Japanese guitar makers/sellers often list Jacaranda as Brazilian rosewood?

Here is a Digimart search for 'Tokai Jacaranda.'
https://www.digimart.net/search?category12Id=359&keywordAnd=jacaranda+tokai+&x=0&y=0
Notice many entries list the fingerboard material as "Jacaranda (Brazilian Rose wood)."

Here is a link for Jacaranda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacaranda_mimosifolia
From the same link here is what Jacaranda looks like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacaranda_mimosifolia#/media/File:Jacaranda_mimosifolia00.jpg
The sample photo for Jacaranda looks nothing like Brazilian rosewood aka Dalbergia Nigra.
Jacaranda is not even the same genus of plant as Dalbergia rosewoods.

So, this is actually more confusing than I had previously believed it was.

Why would Tokai, or any Tokai seller list guitar fingerboards as "Jacaranda (Brazilian rosewood)" when Jacaranda is a different genus than Brazilian & when many Jacaranda samples has no physical resemblance to many genus Dalbergia lumbers?

Does this lend more credence to fingerboards listed as Jacaranda/Brazilian & that actually look like a genus Dalbergia lumbar, as actually being Brazilian rosewood? I don't know.
What say ye?

Here is a Google search for 'Jacaranda lumber' in which some samples looks similar to Brazlian & then other samples are nearly white in color
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=654&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ZvK3W7W0FcWSjwSKj73YBw&q=jacaranda+lumber&oq=jacaranda+lumber&gs_l=img.3..0i24.26191.33999..34574...0.0..0.77.491.7......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i67j0i10i24.paDiZmYRiAA#imgrc=_
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I been down this road before. The term jacaranda IN JAPANESE, as in ハカランis a name for Brazilian Rosewood. It does not equivalent to Jacaranda in English. When It is written as Jacaranda in catalogs it is referring to the Japanese meaning as a name for Brazilian Rosewood.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B8%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%BB%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%82%A6%E3%83%83%E3%83%89
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as wulfman says
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a recent thread we encountered the same issue with the word 'condenser' in the catalogue when the English version should be 'capacitor'.

Apparently the word condenser is close to what is used in other European languages but in English is is the thing you have in your clothes dryer to collect water vapour!
HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the japanese guitar industry probably began with the classical guitars first historically. so the languages they use for the guitar making are often spanish/portuguese. "jacaranda" & "condenser" are the spanish/portuguese words.
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we used to use the word condenser in the UK, before we used the word capacitor in electronic circuitry.
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact there was a company near me that was called Daly Condensers, that actually made capacitors.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
I been down this road before. The term jacaranda IN JAPANESE, as in ハカランis a name for Brazilian Rosewood. It does not equivalent to Jacaranda in English. When It is written as Jacaranda in catalogs it is referring to the Japanese meaning as a name for Brazilian Rosewood.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B8%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%BB%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%82%A6%E3%83%83%E3%83%89

Yo Harold, So are you saying that the Japanese are actually using Brazilian rosewood & just calling it Jacaranda in catalogs & in listings?
That's basically what I'm getting from your explanation.
They could have made this all a bit easier if they would just call it what it is
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, correct.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harold for that clarification
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered why Japanese companies call them condensers and not capacitors. I guess that answers it.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

this is an interesting thread, I must say.
The reason they may list it as 'Jacaranda' and not Brazilian Rosewood could be because of Appendix III of the 1974 C.I.T.I.E.S. Treaty which virtually abolished the use and export of Brazilian Rosewood.
Thing is, from 1977 to 1986 the ONLY model to have Jacaranda listed as a fretboard material was the JB-120 Jazz Bass.
In a search for Jacaranda with a variety of Lumber Vendors, they all came back as Dalbergia nigra as the species. Cool, as we have shitloads of Jacaranda trees growing here in Australia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: