My 1980 Tokai Les Paul Reborn Old LS60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniForklift

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Got this a couple of months ago and forgot to share it on here. I'm now the lucky owner of a pretty rare guitar, produced for only six months during 1980 at the pinnacle of Tokai's workmanship (the last of the handbuilt Tokai's before they switched to CNC in 1981). It's the same model as this one for anyone interested in the specs:

https://reverb.com/nz/item/5371723-1980-tokai-singlecut-reborn-old-ls60-ohc-vintage-cherry-sunburst

In amazing condition for a near 40 year old guitar, came with the OHSC and looks like it's hardly been out of it :lol:

AFSAf10l.jpg

k00kHIxl.jpg

dnSRANll.jpg

WXei92ll.jpg

L1C1r5ul.jpg

From Wikipedia: "There is a major exception to this in that some "Reborn Olds" (very rare) and "Love Rock" models have inked serial numbers on the reverse of the headstock (often referred to as "Inkies"). These guitars are, it is generally agreed, from 1980 (00xxxxx and 01xxxxx) and 1981 (11xxxxx) although there are those who would disagree with this."

Xh7yuINl.jpg

PpeM9dNl.jpg

Just picked up a set of nickel covers, personally I prefer the 'covered' look over the stock cream humbuckers...

tShiXtAl.jpg

Photos don't do it justice, they also seem to make the burst appear harsher than it actually is. The grain running through the front of the body is lovely, it's certainly ageing nicely. I like the way the aniline dye has given the binding an almost burnt cream look, same as on my Dad's cherry red '77 Gibson ES355. Only minor issue was that of the tuning pegs was slightly bent and a few of them were getting loose, so I replaced them with a set of Gotoh SD90-SL Relic Series tuners; other than that from what I can tell it's 100% original. Sounds as good as she looks!

Are turners original? According to serial would it have to come with double ring ones? Just a question....

Regarding inkies I gues they were made not by Tokai but in another factory by request to get the demand; of course they are Tokais but not Hamamatsu plant made...

According to my researchs from reputable fonts, only LS50 and 60 models were inkies but no LS80 were, I was sold a Love Rock with an inked serial as a 80 model but I was told by some well know experts it was not.

luis said:
Are turners original? According to serial would it have to come with double ring ones? Just a question....
Hey Luis, yeah I needed to replace the tuners. Still have them obviously, but they were a bit loose and a couple of strings annoyingly kept slipping out of tune. Also one was slightly bent.

luis said:

Regarding inkies I gues they were made not by Tokai but in another factory by request to get the demand; of course they are Tokais but not Hamamatsu plant made...

According to my researchs from reputable fonts, only LS50 and 60 models were inkies but no LS80 were, I was sold a Love Rock with an inked serial as a 80 model but I was told by some well know experts it was not.
That’s some great info, thanks. So what’s the deal with inkies?

Back