Edwards Pure Material 335 info.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoes

Reaction score
So whats up with the `Pure Material` Edwards 335`s ?? Does anyone have anything to shed some light on them for me ?? I know the LP's were limited in numbers etc but i know nothing of the 335's

Here's a picture from a seller on Ebay.

2nvv4eu.jpg

It's not on Ebay anymore. I checked Sparkles auction listings.

I remember reading about these 335's, maybe seeing one up for sale. I was familiar with the PM Les Pauls.

Whatcha read about them Marcus ?? I've got one come up in my area but the picture is crappy, i used that one cause it's a better picture. Sorry for the confusion.

My understanding is that the Edwards 335s all have solid maple tops so perhaps this is something that they use for all the 335s, and not a special run. I'll have to check some out when I get settled in Tokyo.

Yeah, i don't understand what the difference is either. Perhaps for a few years all the 335's got the Pure Material stamp ?? They don't all have it.

brokentoes said:
Whatcha read about them Marcus ?? I've got one come up in my area but the picture is crappy, i used that one cause it's a better picture. Sorry for the confusion.

It was in another forum and I can't find it now. Basically, it kind of said what Harold said above - there's no real significant upgrade in specs over their other 335's......unlike the PM Les Pauls. Unless of course it is a 100% nitro finish rather than a top layer (aka Lacquer Taste), different Duncan pickups maybe, and perhaps the Pure Material badge on the back of the headstock.

I really like Edwards 335's. Had one of the black ones back in the day. Great neck, fit and finish. Ready to go right out of the box. Great sounding and playing guitar.

Thanks for the replies guys. These guitars interest me more for the sake that they have solid top and back. I enjoy a 335 style guitar but i've never had one that wasn't a plywood body. My old Ibanez AR80 is getting long in the tooth and at 9 1/2 pounds it feels heavy as hell. I thought this might be something worth trying out.

Yamaha made certain of the semi hollow body guitars with sold spruce tops: SA-1200S and SA-2000S. 1200S come up for sale pretty regularly. 77-82 SA's are very nice. Easy to get ebony fretboard as well SA-1000, 1200, 2000 all came with.

Ear profile not true to 335, but then a solid top.isnt either. SA-2000 is a fantastic 335 style.

Tonally, I haven't found a solid top on a semi acoustic makes much of a difference.
Center block wood does. Plywood used across makes vary widely as well.

I do love the Yamaha's i have, and wouldn't turn my nose up at a 335 version at all but they are almost non-existent where i am. My Ibanez is a Birch ply top, and a 3 piece neck so i don't mind going outside the norm. Thanks for your input _JDZ.

Latest posts

Back