Sonix by Deviser LP Sp. (Momose)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
going back to the early/mid 2000s (some) Sonix branded guitars have been made by Deviser, parent company to Bacchus, Headway, Momose, etc.

Recently located a Sonix marqueed Les Paul Sp. with the 'Custom Craft Guitar' head stock logo = same logo as the original run of Momose MLS-STD/J.
This one is in the 01** serial number range = same four digit serial number scheme as Momose.
So, actually this (Sonix) Les Paul Sp. is a re-branded Momose & this one is likely from about 2002/2003.

Looks like a 1 piece body with a reported weight of 7 lb. - 1 oz.

Can't go wrong with Deviser, Bacchus, Momose so, finally getting a Sonix fiddle & glad to be getting one from the 'original' run of Momose production.

Soon will no longer be a Sonix virgin :lol: and will be great company for my Momose MLS-STD/J, number 08** 8)

It looks a bit like mine...
9421852622_7954331a9c_b.jpg

yes, the head stock face on the LP Sp. looks just like the one on Harold's SG with the Custom Craft Guitar log & the Sonix marquee

That is one sweet SG Harold 8) Does it have the four digit serial # scheme like the original Momose examples?

thanks for posting the links Harold 8) those Sonix are some nice looking axes

if you look at the Sonix Regular Line link, third guitar from the bottom, the LP-SPL VS, that looks exactly like the guitar I purchased.
It most likely is the very guitar I bought. :D

part of the verbiage, translated of course:
· Thin lacquer painting !! Non-buffed finish
· This time LPSPL is only production of 2 pieces 8)

production of 2 would seem to make this one fairly rare

Sonix Custom Craft Guitar Les Paul Special arrived today :D will add some comments in a few days after I put it through some evaluations.

Actually showed up with the original factory warranty card :eek: which I had no idea that was included 8)

so, some quick observations about the Sonix LP Special

Model. LPS-56 A.F MAHO/ROSE/LQ
Color. VS
The above is exactly as printed on the original Sonix warranty card.

This example looks to be all original as there are no indications of any changes.
Weighs in at just a hair under 7 lb. - 4 oz., chunky neck thickness/not thin & not baseball bat, aluminum stop tail, acoustically VERY lively & SUPER resonant.

I have owned a very good representation of Deviser produced solid body guitars & basses.
These are typically either 1 piece body construction, or 2 piece/center seam body construction.
The 2 piece/center seam examples are typically very easy to identify because of either (1) the finish color allows for visual ID, or (2) the center seam typically leaves a very minute indication of the seam in the finish. I had no idea if this example would be a 1 piece body, or a 2 piece, as the seller had no idea.

I have tried to no end to locate any indication of a center seam on this example and have found nothing.
Because of this I am currently assuming this example has a 1 piece body. Further investigation is in order to prove/disprove this.

The finish on this guitar is SUPER thin; it's almost not there it's so thin. :lol:
It is what Deviser calls a NBF aka 'non buffing finish' which is a super thin lacquer that is of course, not buffed to a gloss after drying.
The top color is a dark burst/tobacco burst, and the sides & back are a very unusual very dark cherry. To see any grain thru the very dark cherry finish you have to take the guitar into the sun light, or use a flash light.

Construction, fit & finish, fret work, everything on this guitar is top shelf quality one would expect from a Deviser produced instrument.

This Sonix is a great chunk of Mahogany & could be the one LP Special that I actually end up keeping; time will tell.

wulfman said:
Hey Hiro,

How about a picture or two?

Cheers,

Wulfman

yo Harold, what if I email you some pics (from the Sonix's listing) and you post them? I don't have a photo host. I know; I suck :lol:

thanks Harold for posting the photos from the Sonix shop listing :D 8)

the shot of the body back is deceiving; the cherry finish color is MUCH darker than that

they must have used a TON of lighting to get that wood grain to show up, and to have the cherry finish color to look that 'un-dark' :lol:

guitar hiro said:
so, some quick observations about the Sonix LP Special

Model. LPS-56 A.F MAHO/ROSE/LQ
Color. VS
The above is exactly as printed on the original Sonix warranty card.

This example looks to be all original as there are no indications of any changes.
Weighs in at just a hair under 7 lb. - 4 oz., chunky neck thickness/not thin & not baseball bat, aluminum stop tail, acoustically VERY lively & SUPER resonant.

I have owned a very good representation of Deviser produced solid body guitars & basses.
These are typically either 1 piece body construction, or 2 piece/center seam body construction.
The 2 piece/center seam examples are typically very easy to identify because of either (1) the finish color allows for visual ID, or (2) the center seam typically leaves a very minute indication of the seam in the finish. I had no idea if this example would be a 1 piece body, or a 2 piece, as the seller had no idea.

I have tried to no end to locate any indication of a center seam on this example and have found nothing.
Because of this I am currently assuming this example has a 1 piece body. Further investigation is in order to prove/disprove this.

The finish on this guitar is SUPER thin; it's almost not there it's so thin. :lol:
It is what Deviser calls a NBF aka 'non buffing finish' which is a super thin lacquer that is of course, not buffed to a gloss after drying.
The top color is a dark burst/tobacco burst, and the sides & back are a very unusual very dark cherry. To see any grain thru the very dark cherry finish you have to take the guitar into the sun light, or use a flash light.

Construction, fit & finish, fret work, everything on this guitar is top shelf quality one would expect from a Deviser produced instrument.

This Sonix is a great chunk of Mahogany & could be the one LP Special that I actually end up keeping; time will tell.

So, I had some time to explore the Sonix LP Special a bit more recently.
Removed the two pickups to check for a few things and discovered:
* AlNiCo magnets (silver)
* steel braided pickup leads
* there is NO indication of a center seam in either pickup route :D
At this point I have no doubt the body is a 1 piece construction 8) as I cannot locate any indication of a seam anywhere on the body

The pickup poles had never been adjusted & when I tried to move them they were glued in with wax.
I had to break out the heavy duty screw driver to get the poles loosened up :-?
After some adjustments of the poles I must say these P-90s sound as good as any I have heard 8)
The tones are more like a STRAT on steroids; I'm loving the tones :)

Frets are in excellent condition; from observing the frets alone it looks as if the guitar was not played much at all.
Fret wire size is .096" H x .058" W and the fret work is flawless; it is a Deviser build after all :D
Stop tail/bridge is aluminum construction, made by Gotoh Japan = perfect.
The neck thickness at fret 1 is .880" which is only .003" less than the reported average neck thickness of .883" from 1959 LP Standard examples in the BOTB.

I have yet to locate any items, or any indication on this guitar that would lead me to believe that it is not 100% original which is nice, because I prefer to have guitars in original condition, if at all possible.

Having only this one Sonix example to judge by, I would certainly recommend Sonix branded guitars to anyone considering a purchase.
Of course these are 'store brand' guitars that are made in extremely limited amounts so, the likely hood of locating a Sonix for sale is conversely likely to be a very limited opportunity.

I would consider this example to be 'top spec' because of the 1 piece body & also the build quality is typical Deviser; impeccable.
The only thing that comes to mind that could possibly make this 'better' (is that possible?) would be Honduran Mahogany but IMO that is not required.

I have owned a few LP Specials over the years and this one may be the one that stays; time will tell.

That is a nice looking special, thanks for the lowdown on how you like it. I've always wanted a LP Special but for whatever reason never found one at the right time right place. Closest thing i have to one is a Heartfield RR58 and they are their own animal really.

Congrats !!!!

After acquiring my first Sonix branded guitar (subject of this thread) in July, 2018, I have been keeping an eye out for other Sonix examples.

Well, I sure seem to have gone down the Sonix guitar rabbit hole, as I now have two additional examples with the Custom Craft Guitar & Sonix logos. These are basically rebranded Momose examples, with the Custom Craft Guitar logos. 8)
I also have another example that is clearly a true custom order, as it has no brand logo, no secondary logo, and no serial number, yet it has all the attributes of my Sonix by Deviser LP Sp. The seller listed this example, another 56 LP Sp. type, as a Deviser made product. At the time the seller had this LP Sp. listed for sale, he also had two Momose MTL examples offered. These examples were serialized 00** & 04**, which would put them in the early, original run of Momose MTLs; around 2003, to 2004 production. My theory is the LP Sp. is one of the Sonix shop models, as they were known to offer Deviser made guitars that had no serial numbers, and they also had no head stock face logos.
If my theory is correct then that means I'm up to four (4) Sonix examples now. :D
So, what Sonix examples did I get this year?
1956 type gold top, 1 piece body back
1956 type LP Sp. in TV White - I like this one better than the subject guitar of this thread
1962 type Strat in 3 color sunburst - slab board fingerboard with a flame maple neck - the fit & finish of this guitar is better than ANY Fender USA Custom Shop guitar I have ever seen. All original, 100% all clothe wired, USA made 5 way switch, jack, and pots. This thing will kill any Strat I have. :lol:

This is what happens when you go down the (any) brand rabbit hole; your bank account gets smaller. :lol:

Latest posts

Back