Help with a 2010 Tokai GS85SEB (no serial number)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prasanth2399

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. I came across a Tokai on Malaysia's local classifieds. It is selling for around 450 USD. The seller claims its all stock, with stainless steel frets. Can anyone help me verify the specs of this guitar? I can't find any info online.

In addition, he told me that this guitar does not have a serial number. Is that normal? In a singaporean website, I saw another GS85SEB for sale and it has a serial number.

Thanks in advance[/img]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AgbQodQBQnX6KePSk9ZZUgJUy_vkkEJT

Attached above is the link to the photos of the said guitar. The picture of the serial number belongs to another Tokai GS85SEB that is being sold in Singapore. The guitar I am planning to buy does not have any serial number above the 'Made in Japan' script

I find it very suspicious that you can't see the word "Tokai" on any of the pictures. Why isn't there a photo of the front of the headstock?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBDm1OW5gtur8xb6bCT6hiw3WbgWTqqg/view?usp=drivesdk

I've contacted the seller and asked for the photo of the headstock. Here it is

Some time around 2007 (not exactly sure of the year but around that year or so) or so they switch the SN location. Before then it was on the scratch plate (plate with screws that bolts the neck on). After then it was like in the first picture you have where it says

Made in Japan

If the scratch plate has been swapped then you will not know.

EDIT

Actually, I just looked on the 3rd pic where the back of the neck says "made in japan." That is very strange looking. I have never seen a Tokai like that. Maybe a fake. When the do say "made in japan it will be like:

Made in Japan

When it is just on the plate it will not say MIJ on the guitar.

aroomstudios said:
Some time around 2007 (not exactly sure of the year but around that year or so) or so they switch the SN location. Before then it was on the scratch plate (plate with screws that bolts the neck on). After then it was like in the first picture you have where it says

Made in Japan

If the scratch plate has been swapped then you will not know.

EDIT

Actually, I just looked on the 3rd pic where the back of the neck says "made in japan." That is very strange looking. I have never seen a Tokai like that. Maybe a fake. When the do say "made in japan it will be like:

Made in Japan

When it is just on the plate it will not say MIJ on the guitar.

Thanks! Sorry to bother you, but I was kinda confused with what you mentioned in your reply. In regards to the 'third pic' is it refering to the Tokai with the serial number or the other Tokai without the S/n. The seller told me again that it never had any form of a serial number. He added on that he bought it from a store in Japan

Third pic - looks strange to me it looks like the "Made in Japan" was stamped on the neck with a cheap stamp at a later date.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/POw1C5KtVOnuMDc7TE_Wi95SLvvaXvM_NhlwFP3emJya2-YjhIlZ2MatpE3i_6kG52VmKPAZ8H_6nUT4N7Jj=w2329-h1175

First pic - looks normal this is a real Tokai
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/i8j2fJpQS_X6AxrkaSMSulhIHt3mJqg7n9Qyvafhp7acb4YhguAFxl1Q9nuxGc_Y0507bbunqjRstbeTX-Qz=w2329-h1175

Since the seller did not originally post a pic of the head stock showing Tokai I would say they are hiding something. When you take the guitar apart (remove the neck) there will be a stamp on the back of the neck and on the the body. Ask the seller for pics of these. They will says something like 3=9 mg or something similar to that. They will BOTH have the same codes on them. So, the neck will say "3=9 mg" and the body will also say "3=9 mg." The body will probably have the stamp on the neck pickup cavity. If the seller will not send you pics of this it is probably a fake or the seller is hiding something.

By the way $450 for that is not a great deal even if it is a real Tokai. Check places like buyee.jp You can find them really cheap there. You will also have to pay shipping from that site. From Japan to USA it is around $120-$180 depending on if the guitar has a hard case and what the guitar weighs.

It's real. I have a breezy sound with no serial number and the exact same Made In Japan mark on the neck.

aroomstudios said:
Third pic - looks strange to me it looks like the "Made in Japan" was stamped on the neck with a cheap stamp at a later date.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/POw1C5KtVOnuMDc7TE_Wi95SLvvaXvM_NhlwFP3emJya2-YjhIlZ2MatpE3i_6kG52VmKPAZ8H_6nUT4N7Jj=w2329-h1175

First pic - looks normal this is a real Tokai
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/i8j2fJpQS_X6AxrkaSMSulhIHt3mJqg7n9Qyvafhp7acb4YhguAFxl1Q9nuxGc_Y0507bbunqjRstbeTX-Qz=w2329-h1175

Since the seller did not originally post a pic of the head stock showing Tokai I would say they are hiding something. When you take the guitar apart (remove the neck) there will be a stamp on the back of the neck and on the the body. Ask the seller for pics of these. They will says something like 3=9 mg or something similar to that. They will BOTH have the same codes on them. So, the neck will say "3=9 mg" and the body will also say "3=9 mg." The body will probably have the stamp on the neck pickup cavity. If the seller will not send you pics of this it is probably a fake or the seller is hiding something.

By the way $450 for that is not a great deal even if it is a real Tokai. Check places like buyee.jp You can find them really cheap there. You will also have to pay shipping from that site. From Japan to USA it is around $120-$180 depending on if the guitar has a hard case and what the guitar weighs.

Unfortunately, thats the situation of the second hand market in Malaysia. This is the cheapest second hand tokai available :(

Back