Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How common are Tokai double cut Juniors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hiro.... no worries.

spikeymikey
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Junior my friend lent me is very nice but after playing it for two weeks I find the fingerboard a little flat. I couldn't give a damn about what the wood is, it sounds right and it plays pretty good apart from the flatness. I think thats just because I'm used to the old Fender radius now and cant go back, although this seems flatter than my two '64 Juniors fretboards. Shame, as I would buy it otherwise to use when I'm in the UK. Much as I love Juniors I cant live with the limitations anymore, for me Telecasters are my preference these days and I wish I'd got into them earlier now.

Last edited by spikeymikey on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeymikey wrote:
This Junior my friend lent me is very nice but after playing it for two weeks I find the fingerboard a little flat. I couldn't give a damn about what wood is, it sounds right and it plays pretty good apart from the flatness. I think thats just because I'm used to the old Fender radius now and cant go back, although this seems flatter than my two '64 Juniors fretboards. Shame, as I would buy it otherwise to use when I'm in the UK. Much as I love Juniors I cant live with the limitations anymore, for me Telecasters are my preference these days and I wish I'd got into them earlier now.

I played Strats exclusively for over 20 years; sonically extremely versatile with the 3 pickups & the 5 way switch.

My favorite (single) pickup selection on a Strat is the neck pickup & also on Gibson style guitars, just to a slightly lesser degree.

I have tried multiple brands of Jrs. (even sold Marcus an Edwards Jr. many years ago) but I could never get used to (my perceived) lack of sonic versatility with Jrs.

I could never get that neck pickup tone with a Jr. but I solved that with LP Specials
spikeymikey
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I find I need the neck pickup more in lower volume situations. It's almost essential to me now. Rolling off treble on a bridge P90 doesn't get you anywhere near that tone. But still.....
iam
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
iam wrote:
You know you can order one directly from Tokai right? www.theguitarshop.jp

I don't see a double cut junior on their website or in the catalog they show. Would it be a custom order build?

It can be. Or check with Gottfried of this forum if he has any on order?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
iam wrote:
You know you can order one directly from Tokai right? www.theguitarshop.jp

I don't see a double cut junior on their website or in the catalog they show. Would it be a custom order build?

It can be. Or check with Gottfried of this forum if he has any on order?

Actually, Gottfried was kind enough to check in directly with me when he saw my post looking for a Junior. He didn't have any currently but did show me a nice TV Yellow double cut Special.

In response to the comments further up the thread about the limitations of a Junior, that's exactly what I was after - a stripped down, one pickup, one volume one tone Junior. I already have a great Greco SG Junior. Wanted one with more wood - I've had several Edwards doublecuts and I've regretted selling everyone of them to finance other purchases.

I love the wide, flat 12" radius necks - extremely comfortable to me and they are perfect for playing slide guitar without have to tilt or angle the slide to compensate for a more peaked radius like a 7.25".

I'm a strat guy too - don't get me wrong on that. It's what I learned to play on and my go to guitar. Nothing sounds or plays like I strat. I was just after a stripped down "rat rod" of a guitar and I love the Revelator Junior. It's snarly, beefy and sounds like no other guitar I have. Like any guitar, one nuance of tone is found by where you pick or strum it - closer to the neck or closer to the bridge. Juniors are very responsive in this regard and mine is very resonant too - rings for days.

Thanks for all your input guys - sure appreciate it. I did find another 2006 Edwards doublecut in a hard to find cherry finish. Of course I bought it. Light as a feather and just a treat to play too.
iam
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOKAI-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-RETROSPEC-Very-rare-London-or-Loughborough/153073607586?hash=item23a3e5e3a2%3Ag%3AxYoAAOSw5RJa3gg1&_pgn=2&_sacat=3858&_nkw=tokai&_from=R40&rt=nc

Spotted this one on eBay.co.uk
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam wrote:
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOKAI-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-RETROSPEC-Very-rare-London-or-Loughborough/153073607586?hash=item23a3e5e3a2%3Ag%3AxYoAAOSw5RJa3gg1&_pgn=2&_sacat=3858&_nkw=tokai&_from=R40&rt=nc

Spotted this one on eBay.co.uk

Nice.... looks straight except for the bridge and knobs. I remember seeing something about the Retrospec issue guitars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: