Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think it's a ES-155-SR but is it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: I think it's a ES-155-SR but is it? Reply with quote

Hi there,

[apologies, initially posted in wrong sub-group ]

I have a Tokai (335 shape) which I'm trying to identify/age. I bought it from a colleague in about 2003/4, I'm not sure where he got it from but he said it had PRS pickups in it.

I know it's not Japanese as it's got made in Korea on the neck (no flies on me). But I can't see a serial number anywhere which makes me wonder about it - perhaps it's fake? it doesn't have square inlays on the neck so I don't think it's a ES-160-SR is it a ES-155-SR?

I'm not an expert but it 'feels' and looks very well made and plays great.

Snaps below:

Any advice or comments most welcome.

Thanks,

Luke
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made in Korea Tokai's had no serial numbers. It looks like a nice axe.
Luke
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
Made in Korea Tokai's had no serial numbers. It looks like a nice axe.

Hey Brokentoes, thanks for the tip! it's a nice tool, lovely red especially in the sunshine! model-wise do you think it's the ES-155-SR ? any idea on date?
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a MIJ can be over ES-95 models.. Korean and chinese are ES-60

Regards.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Hey Brokentoes, thanks for the tip! it's a nice tool, lovely red especially in the sunshine! model-wise do you think it's the ES-155-SR ? any idea on date?

Difficult to be exact on dates because of the lack of serial numbers, but it was probably only a few years old when you bought it.

I agree with Luis, it's almost certainly an ES60. Is there a sticker or anything visible in the f-hole?
Luke
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies and the clarification on (almost certainly!) the exact model. I can't see any stickers or labels inside the F holes unfortunately. As a general rule then the higher the model number the better the model itself?

My old man cleaned it up a while back and had a look at the pickups, see below. Unfortunately I don't have the originals. I think PRS are pretty good though?

I'm umming and arrrring about selling it or trading it in but unsure how to value it - maybe just let the ebay market decide![/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: